The productivity impact of international technology transfer in China: Empirical investigation on Chinese regions
AbstractThis paper investigates the impact of international technology transfer through FDI and technology import on Chinese productivity by analyzing 28 Chinese province-level regions over the period 2001 to 2008. The findings show that technology import has significantly positive impact on Chinese regional productivity, while FDI has significantly negative impact.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by AccessEcon in its journal Economics Bulletin.
Volume (Year): 32 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
international technology transfer; China; productivity;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F0 - International Economics - - General
- O4 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hasan, Rana, 2002. "The impact of imported and domestic technologies on the productivity of firms: panel data evidence from Indian manufacturing firms," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 23-49, October.
- Teixeira, Aurora A.C. & Fortuna, Natércia, 2010. "Human capital, R&D, trade, and long-run productivity. Testing the technological absorption hypothesis for the Portuguese economy, 1960-2001," Research Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 335-350, April.
- Bronwyn H. Hall & Jacques Mairesse, 1992.
"Exploring the Relationship Between R&D and Productivity in French Manufacturing Firms,"
NBER Working Papers
3956, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hall, Bronwyn H. & Mairesse, Jacques, 1995. "Exploring the relationship between R&D and productivity in French manufacturing firms," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 263-293, January.
- Todo, Yasuyuki, 2006. "Knowledge spillovers from foreign direct investment in R&D: Evidence from Japanese firm-level data," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 996-1013, December.
- Bronzini, Raffaello & Piselli, Paolo, 2009. "Determinants of long-run regional productivity with geographical spillovers: The role of R&D, human capital and public infrastructure," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 187-199, March.
- Lin, Songhua & Ma, Alyson C., 2012. "Outsourcing and productivity: Evidence from Korean data," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 39-49.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:17:y:2004:i:2:p:1-10 is not listed on IDEAS
- Damijan, Joze P. & Knell, Mark & Majcen, Boris & Rojec, Matija, 2003. "The role of FDI, R&D accumulation and trade in transferring technology to transition countries: evidence from firm panel data for eight transition countries," Economic Systems, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 189-204, June.
- Xu, Xinpeng & Sheng, Yu, 2012. "Productivity Spillovers from Foreign Direct Investment: Firm-Level Evidence from China," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 62-74.
- Kokko, Ari, 1994. "Technology, market characteristics, and spillovers," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 279-293, April.
- Girma, Sourafel & Gong, Yundan, 2008. "Putting people first? Chinese state-owned enterprises' adjustment to globalisation," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 573-585, March.
- Shunsuke Managi & Shinji Kaneko, 2004. "Environmental Productivity in China," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 17(2), pages 1-10.
- O'Mahony, Mary & Vecchi, Michela, 2009. "R&D, knowledge spillovers and company productivity performance," Research Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 35-44, February.
- Richard Harris & Catherine Robinson, 2004. "Productivity Impacts and Spillovers from Foreign Ownership in the United Kingdom," National Institute Economic Review, National Institute of Economic and Social Research, National Institute of Economic and Social Research, vol. 187(1), pages 58-75, January.
- Motohashi, Kazuyuki & Yuan, Yuan, 2010. "Productivity impact of technology spillover from multinationals to local firms: Comparing China's automobile and electronics industries," Research Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 790-798, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.