Productivity Impacts and Spillovers from Foreign Ownership in the United Kingdom
AbstractIn this paper, we measure the indirect impact of FDI on the total factor productivity of domestic plants in a number of UK manufacturing industries, 1974-95, using a standard production-function-based approach. We use data from the UK ARD and information derived from UK input-output tables. Our results indicate that the competition and â€˜absorption capacityâ€™ effect at times outweighs potential benefits, leading to negative spillovers. We also find that inter-industry spillovers are generally more prevalent than intra-industry spillovers. We conclude that the nature of spillovers is such that measurement techniques traditionally adopted fail to explain adequately their complex and diverse nature.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by National Institute of Economic and Social Research in its journal National Institute Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 187 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 2 Dean Trench Street, Smith Square, London SW1P 3HE
Phone: +44 (020) 7222 7665
Fax: +44 (020) 7654 1900
Web page: http://www.niesr.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Majcen, Boris & Radosevic, Slavo & Rojec, Matija, 2009.
"Nature and determinants of productivity growth of foreign subsidiaries in Central and East European countries,"
Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 168-184, June.
- Slavo Radosevic & Boris Majcen & Matija Rojec, 2006. "Nature And Determinants Of Productivity Growth Of Foreign Subsidiaries In Central And East European Countries," Working Papers 68, CENTRE FOR THE STUDY OF ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL CHANGE IN EUROPE,School of Slavonic and East European Studies,University College London (SSEES,UCL).
- Nuno CRESPO & Isabel PROENÇA & Maria Paula FONTOURA, 2012.
"The Spatial Dimension in FDI Spillovers: Evidence at the Regional Level from Portugal,"
Regional and Sectoral Economic Studies,
Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 12(1), pages 115-130.
- Nuno Crespo & Isabel Proença & Maria Paula Fontoura, 2010. "The Spatial Dimension in FDI Spillovers: Evidence at the Regional Level from Portugal," Working Papers Department of Economics 2010/17, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Zhou Wei & Adel Ben Youssef, 2012. "The productivity impact of international technology transfer in China: Empirical investigation on Chinese regions," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 32(2), pages 1590-1603.
- Maliranta, Mika, 2005. "Foreign-owned Firms and Productivity-enhancing Restructuring in Finnish Manufacturing Industries," Discussion Papers 965, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Miozzo, Marcela & Grimshaw, Damian, 2008. "Service multinationals and forward linkages with client firms: The case of IT outsourcing in Argentina and Brazil," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 8-27, February.
- Eckhardt Bode & Peter Nunnenkamp & Andreas Waldkirch, 2009.
"Spatial Effects of Foreign Direct Investment in US States,"
Kiel Working Papers
1535, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Eckhardt Bode & Peter Nunnenkamp & Andreas Waldkirch, 2012. "Spatial effects of foreign direct investment in US states," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 45(1), pages 16-40, February.
- Nuno Crespo & Isabel Proença & Maria Paula Fontoura, 2008.
"FDI Spillovers at Regional Level: Evidence from Portugal,"
Working Papers Series 1
ercwp0508, ISCTE-IUL, Business Research Unit (BRU-IUL).
- Nuno Crespo & Maria Paula Fontoura & Isabel Proença, 2009. "FDI spillovers at regional level: Evidence from Portugal," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 88(3), pages 591-607, 08.
- Nuno Crespo & Isabel Proença & Maria Paula Fontoura, 2007. "FDI Spillovers at Regional Level: Evidence from Portugal," Working Papers Department of Economics 2007/28, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- LEE, Keun & CHOO, Kineung & Yoon, Minho, 2013. "Comparing the Productivity Impacts of Knowledge Spillovers from Network and Arm’s Length Industries:Findings from Business Groups in Korea," IIR Working Paper 13-15, Institute of Innovation Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Maryia Akulava & Ganna Vakhitova, 2010.
"The Impact of FDI on Firm’s Performance Across Sectors: Evidence from Ukraine,"
BEROC Working Paper Series
10, Belarusian Economic Research and Outreach Center (BEROC).
- Maryia Akulava & Ganna Vakhitova, 2010. "The Impact of FDI on Firm’s Performance Across Sectors: Evidence from Ukraine," Discussion Papers 26, Kyiv School of Economics.
- Yanling Wang, 2010. "Exposure to FDI and New Plant Survival: Evidence in Canada," Carleton Economic Papers 10-05, Carleton University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (SAGE Publications).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.