Knowledge Spillovers from Foreign Direct Investment and the Role of Local R&D Activities: Evidence from Indonesia
AbstractA large number of studies have used firm-level data to examine whether foreign direct investment (FDI) generates knowledge spillovers to domestically owned firms in less developed countries. However, the results are mixed. In this study, Indonesian plant-level panel data are used to test whether the often-ignored local R&D activities of foreign-owned firms in the host country enhance knowledge spillovers from FDI. The analysis found positive spillovers from R&D-performing foreign-owned firms, while spillovers from non-R&D-performing foreign-owned firms were absent.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Economic Development and Cultural Change.
Volume (Year): 55 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/EDCC/
Other versions of this item:
- Yasuyuki Todo & Koji Miyamoto, 2006. "Knowledge Spillovers from Foreign Direct Investment and the Role of Local R&D Activities: Evidence from Indonesia," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 55, pages 173-200.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mariassunta Giannetti & Andrei Simonov, 2007.
"Social Interactions and Entrepreneurial Activity,"
in: Entrepreneurship: Strategy and Structure
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zhang, Haiyang & Sonobe, Tetsushi, 2010. "An inquiry into the development of science and technology parks in China," Economics Discussion Papers 2010-26, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Hidemi Kimura & Yasuyuki Todo, 2009.
"Is Foreign Aid a Vanguard of Foreign Direct Investment? A Gravity-Equation Approach,"
Development Economics Working Papers
22881, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Kimura, Hidemi & Todo, Yasuyuki, 2010. "Is Foreign Aid a Vanguard of Foreign Direct Investment? A Gravity-Equation Approach," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 482-497, April.
- Hidemi Kimura & Yasuyuki Todo, 2009. "Is Foreign Aid a Vanguard of Foreign Direct Investment? A Gravity-Equation Approach," Asia Pacific Economic Papers 380, Australia-Japan Research Centre, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- TODO Yasuyuki, 2008.
"Impacts of Aid-Funded Technical Assistance Programs: Firm-Level Evidence from the Indonesian Foundry Industry,"
08024, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Todo, Yasuyuki, 2011. "Impacts of Aid-Funded Technical Assistance Programs: Firm-Level Evidence from the Indonesian Foundry Industry," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 351-362, March.
- Klimis Vogiatzoglou, 2009. "Determinants of Export Specialization in ICT Products: A Cross-Country Analysis," Working Papers 2009.3, International Network for Economic Research - INFER.
- Takii, Sadayuki, 2011. "Do FDI spillovers vary among home economies?: Evidence from Indonesian manufacturing," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 152-163, April.
- Todo, Yasuyuki & Zhang, Weiying & Zhou, Li-An, 2009. "Knowledge spillovers from FDI in China: The role of educated labor in multinational enterprises," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 626-639, November.
- Chung, Yessica C.Y., 2012. "Ethnic Networks and Technical Knowledge Learning in Industrial Clusters," Working Papers 37, JICA Research Institute.
- JINJI Naoto & ZHANG Xingyuan & HARUNA Shoji, 2011. "Does the Structure of Multinational Enterprises' Activity Affect Technology Spillovers?," Discussion papers 11027, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Andrew Sharpe & Blair Long, 2012. "Innovation in Canadian Natural Resource Industries: A Systems-Based Analysis of Performance, Policy and Emerging Challenges," CSLS Research Reports 2012-06, Centre for the Study of Living Standards.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.