Knowledge Spillovers from Foreign Direct Investment and the Role of Local R&D Activities: Evidence from Indonesia
AbstractA large number of studies have used firm-level data to examine whether foreign direct investment (FDI) generates knowledge spillovers to domestically owned firms in less developed countries. However, the results are mixed. In this study, Indonesian plant-level panel data are used to test whether the often-ignored local R&D activities of foreign-owned firms in the host country enhance knowledge spillovers from FDI. The analysis found positive spillovers from R&D-performing foreign-owned firms, while spillovers from non-R&D-performing foreign-owned firms were absent.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Economic Development and Cultural Change.
Volume (Year): 55 (2006)
Issue (Month): ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/EDCC/
Other versions of this item:
- Todo, Yasuyuki & Miyamoto, Koji, 2006. "Knowledge Spillovers from Foreign Direct Investment and the Role of Local R&D Activities: Evidence from Indonesia," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 55(1), pages 173-200, October.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hidemi Kimura & Yasuyuki Todo, 2009.
"Is Foreign Aid a Vanguard of Foreign Direct Investment? A Gravity-Equation Approach,"
Development Economics Working Papers
22881, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Kimura, Hidemi & Todo, Yasuyuki, 2010. "Is Foreign Aid a Vanguard of Foreign Direct Investment? A Gravity-Equation Approach," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 482-497, April.
- Hidemi Kimura & Yasuyuki Todo, 2009. "Is Foreign Aid a Vanguard of Foreign Direct Investment? A Gravity-Equation Approach," Asia Pacific Economic Papers 380, Australia-Japan Research Centre, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- JINJI Naoto & ZHANG Xingyuan & HARUNA Shoji, 2011. "Does the Structure of Multinational Enterprises' Activity Affect Technology Spillovers?," Discussion papers 11027, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- KIMURA Hidemi & TODO Yasuyuki, 2007. "Is Foreign Aid a Vanguard of FDI? A Gravity-Equation Approach," Discussion papers 07007, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Ito, Banri & Yashiro, Naomitsu & Xu, Zhaoyuan & Chen, XiaoHong & Wakasugi, Ryuhei, 2012.
"How do Chinese industries benefit from FDI spillovers?,"
China Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 342-356.
- ITO Banri & YASHIRO Naomitsu & XU Zhaoyuan & CHEN Xiaohong & WAKASUGI Ryuhei, 2010. "How Do Chinese Industries Benefit from FDI Spillovers?," Discussion papers 10026, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Andrew Sharpe & Blair Long, 2012. "Innovation in Canadian Natural Resource Industries: A Systems-Based Analysis of Performance, Policy and Emerging Challenges," CSLS Research Reports 2012-06, Centre for the Study of Living Standards.
- Chung, Yessica C.Y., 2012. "Ethnic Networks and Technical Knowledge Learning in Industrial Clusters," Working Papers 37, JICA Research Institute.
- Suyanto & Salim, Ruhul A. & Bloch, Harry, 2009. "Does Foreign Direct Investment Lead to Productivity Spillovers? Firm Level Evidence from Indonesia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(12), pages 1861-1876, December.
- Klimis Vogiatzoglou, 2009. "Determinants of Export Specialization in ICT Products: A Cross-Country Analysis," Working Papers 2009.3, International Network for Economic Research - INFER.
- Todo, Yasuyuki, 2011.
"Impacts of Aid-Funded Technical Assistance Programs: Firm-Level Evidence from the Indonesian Foundry Industry,"
Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 351-362, March.
- TODO Yasuyuki, 2008. "Impacts of Aid-Funded Technical Assistance Programs: Firm-Level Evidence from the Indonesian Foundry Industry," Discussion papers 08024, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Zhang, Haiyang & Sonobe, Tetsushi, 2010. "An inquiry into the development of science and technology parks in China," Economics Discussion Papers 2010-26, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Marin, Anabel & Sasidharan, Subash, 2010.
"Heterogeneous MNC subsidiaries and technological spillovers: Explaining positive and negative effects in India,"
Elsevier, vol. 39(9), pages 1227-1241, November.
- Anabel Marin & Subash Sasidharan, 2010. "Heterogeneous MNC Subsidiaries and Technological Spillovers: Explaining Positive and Negative Effects in India," Working Papers 2010-053, Madras School of Economics,Chennai,India.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.