Is There a Brazilian J-Curve?
AbstractWe show that Marshall-Lerner condition holds for Brazilian trade balance, and discard a J-curve in the short run. We present these results using impulse-response functions in a variety of (linear and nonlinear) models, including Markov-switching, vector error-correction models.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by AccessEcon in its journal Economics Bulletin.
Volume (Year): 6 (2005)
Issue (Month): 10 ()
Contact details of provider:
Other versions of this item:
- F3 - International Economics - - International Finance
- F4 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Garcia, Rene, 1998.
"Asymptotic Null Distribution of the Likelihood Ratio Test in Markov Switching Models,"
International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(3), pages 763-88, August.
- René Garcia, 1995. "Asymptotic Null Distribution of the Likelihood Ratio Test in Markov Switching Models," CIRANO Working Papers, CIRANO 95s-07, CIRANO.
- Felmingham, Bruce S, 1988. "Where Is the Australian J-Curve?," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(1), pages 43-56, January.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Taggert Brooks, 1999. "Bilateral J-Curve between U.S. and her trading partners," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, Springer, vol. 135(1), pages 156-165, March.
- Swarnjit Arora & Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Gour Goswami, 2003. "Bilateral J-curve between India and her trading partners," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(9), pages 1037-1041.
- Bonomo, Marco Antônio Cesar & Terra, Maria Cristina T., 1999.
"The Political Economy of Exchange Rate Policy in Brazil: 1964-1997,"
Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE)
341, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Marco Bonomo & Maria Cristina Terra, 1998. "The political economy of exchange rate policy in Brazil, 1964-1997," Textos para discussÃ£o, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil) 395, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Marco Bonomo & Cristina Terra, 1999. "The Political Economy of Exchange Rate Policy in Brazil: 1964-1997," Research Department Publications, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department 3065, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Perron, P., 1990.
"Further Evidence On Breaking Trend Functions In Macroeconomics Variables,"
Papers, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program
350, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Perron, Pierre, 1997. "Further evidence on breaking trend functions in macroeconomic variables," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 355-385, October.
- Perron, P., 1994. "Further Evidence on Breaking Trend Functions in Macroeconomic Variables," Cahiers de recherche, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en Ã©conomie quantitative, CIREQ 9421, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Perron, P., 1994. "Further Evidence on Breaking Trend Functions in Macroeconomic Variables," Cahiers de recherche, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques 9421, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:5:y:2003:i:18:p:1-13 is not listed on IDEAS
- Olugbenga Onafowora, 2003. "Exchange rate and trade balance in east asia: is there a J-curve?," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 5(18), pages 1-13.
- Hansen, Bruce E, 1992. "The Likelihood Ratio Test under Nonstandard Conditions: Testing the Markov Switching Model of GNP," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(S), pages S61-82, Suppl. De.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Tatchawan Kantipong, 2001. "Bilateral J-Curve Between Thailand and Her Trading Partners," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 26(2), pages 107-117, December.
- Mansoorian, Arman, 1998. "Habits and durability in consumption, and the dynamics of the current account," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 69-82, February.
- Reis, Luciana & Meurer, Roberto & Da Silva, Sergio, 2008.
"Stock returns and foreign investment in Brazil,"
23028, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Luciana Reis & Roberto Meurer & Sergio Da Silva, 2010. "Stock returns and foreign investment in Brazil," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(17), pages 1351-1361.
- Guttler, Caio & Meurer, Roberto & Da Silva, Sergio, 2006. "Informational inefficiency of the Brazilian stockmarket," MPRA Paper 1980, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jamilov, Rustam, 2013.
"Capital mobility in the Caucasus,"
Economic Systems, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 155-170.
- Rustam Jamilov, 2013. "J-Curve Dynamics and the Marshall–Lerner Condition: Evidence from Azerbaijan," Transition Studies Review, Springer, Springer, vol. 19(3), pages 313-323, February.
- Jamilov, Rustam, 2011. "J-Curve Dynamics and the Marshall-Lerner Condition: Evidence from Azerbaijan," MPRA Paper 36799, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Feb 2012.
- Sergio Da Silva & Annibal Figueiredo & Iram Gleria & Raul Matsushita, 2007. "Hurst exponents, power laws, and efficiency in the Brazilian foreign exchange market," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 7(1), pages 1-11.
- Bustamante, Rafael & Morales, Fedor, 2009. "Probando la condición de Marshall-Lerner y el efecto Curva-J: Evidencia empírica para el caso peruano," Revista Estudios Económicos, Banco Central de Reserva del Perú, Banco Central de Reserva del Perú, issue 16, pages 103-126.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.