The Economics of Public-Private Partnerships
AbstractGovernments across Canada and around the world are looking for new ways to deliver public services at lower costs to taxpayers and users. Many have chosen to form public-private partnerships (P3s), involving the private sector to a much greater extent. This choice is often controversial, with the debates routinely driven by ideology more than careful analysis. This paper adds to the limited academic literature on P3s by reviewing the fundamental underlying economics of these relationships to get at their real costs and benefits. The goal is to help us better understand where and how P3s may be an efficient mechanism for the provision of public services.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Toronto Press in its journal Canadian Public Policy.
Volume (Year): 30 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of Toronto Press Journals Division 5201 Dufferin Street Toronto, Ontario, Canada M3H 5T8
Web page: http://economics.ca/cpp/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grossman, Sanford J & Hart, Oliver, 1985.
"The Cost and Benefits of Ownership: A Theory of Vertical and Lateral Integration,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
70, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Grossman, Sanford J & Hart, Oliver D, 1986. "The Costs and Benefits of Ownership: A Theory of Vertical and Lateral Integration," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(4), pages 691-719, August.
- Oliver Hart & Sanford Grossman, 1985. "The Costs and Benefits of Ownership: A Theory of Vertical and Lateral Integration," Working papers 372, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Grossman, Sanford J. & Hart, Oliver D., 1986. "The Costs and Benefits of Ownership: A Theory of Vertical and Lateral Integration," Scholarly Articles 3450060, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Oliver Hart, 2002.
"Incomplete Contracts and Public Ownership: Remarks, and an Application to Public-Private Partnerships,"
The Centre for Market and Public Organisation
02/061, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Oliver Hart, 2003. "Incomplete Contracts and Public Ownership: Remarks, and an Application to Public-Private Partnerships," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(486), pages C69-C76, March.
- Timothy Besley & Maitreesh Ghatak, 2001.
"Government Versus Private Ownership Of Public Goods,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 116(4), pages 1343-1372, November.
- Besley, Timothy J. & Ghatak, Maitreesh, 2001. "Government versus Private Ownership of Public Goods," CEPR Discussion Papers 2725, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Grout, Paul A, 1997. "The Economics of the Private Finance Initiative," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(4), pages 53-66, Winter.
- Vining, Aidan R & Boardman, Anthony E, 1992. " Ownership versus Competition: Efficiency in Public Enterprise," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 73(2), pages 205-39, March.
- Spackman, Michael, 2002. "Public-private partnerships: lessons from the British approach," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 283-301, September.
- Stephen King & Rohan Pitchford, 2001.
"Private or Public? A taxonomy of optimal ownership and management regimes,"
International and Development Economics Working Papers
idec01-5, International and Development Economics.
- Pitchford, R. & King, S., 1998. "Private or Public? A Taxonomy of Optimal Ownership and Management Regimes," Papers 343, Australian National University - Department of Economics.
- King, S. & Pitchford, R., 1998. "Private or Public? A Taxonomy of Optimal Ownership and Management Regimes," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 625, The University of Melbourne.
- Pitchford, Rohan & King, Stephen, 2000. "Private or Public? A Taxonomy of Optimal Ownership and Management Regimes," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 401, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- F CvN FOURIE & P BURGER, 2000. "An Economic Analysis and Assessment of Public - Private Partnerships (PPPs)," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 68(4), pages 305-316, December.
- Domberger, Simon & Jensen, Paul, 1997. "Contracting Out by the Public Sector: Theory, Evidence, Prospects," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(4), pages 67-78, Winter.
- Hart, Oliver & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W, 1997.
"The Proper Scope of Government: Theory and an Application to Prisons,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 112(4), pages 1127-61, November.
- Oliver Hart & Andrei Shleifer & Robert Vishny, 1996. "The Proper Scope of Government: Theory and an Application to Prisons," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1778, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Oliver Hart & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "The Proper Scope of Government: Theory and an Application to Prisons," NBER Working Papers 5744, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Crocker, Keith J & Masten, Scott E, 1996. "Regulation and Administered Contracts Revisited: Lessons from Transaction-Cost Economics for Public Utility Regulation," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 5-39, January.
- Klein, Benjamin & Crawford, Robert G & Alchian, Armen A, 1978. "Vertical Integration, Appropriable Rents, and the Competitive Contracting Process," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 21(2), pages 297-326, October.
- Holmstrom, Bengt R. & Tirole, Jean, 1989. "The theory of the firm," Handbook of Industrial Organization, in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 2, pages 61-133 Elsevier.
- Barreto Nieto, Carlos Alberto, 2010.
"Modelo de Unión Público-Privado: una aproximación desde la Teoría de Contratos
[Public Private-Partnership: an approach from contract theory]," MPRA Paper 32038, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Elizabeth Brubaker, 2011. "A Bridge Over Troubled Waters: Alternative Financing and Delivery of Water and Wastewater Services," C.D. Howe Institute Commentary, C.D. Howe Institute, issue 330, May.
- Elisabetta Iossa & David Martimort, 2008.
"The Simple Micro-Economics of Public-Private Partnerships,"
CEIS Research Paper
139, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 15 Feb 2013.
- Elisabetta Iossa & David Martimort, 2008. "The Simple Micro-Economics of Public-Private Partnerships," The Centre for Market and Public Organisation 08/199, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Zhe Zhang & Ming Jia & Difang Wan, 2009. "Allocation of control rights and cooperation efficiency in public-private partnerships: theory and evidence from the Chinese pharmaceutical industry," International Journal of Health Care Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 169-182, June.
- Carlos Alberto Barreto Nieto, 2011. "Modelo de asociación pública-privada: un enfoque de teoría de contratos," Revista de Economía Institucional, Universidad Externado de Colombia - Facultad de Economía, vol. 13(25), pages 249-274, July-Dece.
- Argentino Pessoa, 2009. "Outsourcing And Public Sector Efficiency: How Effective Is Outsourcing In Dealing With Impure Public Goods?," FEP Working Papers 329, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Argentino Pessoa, 2008. "Educational Reform in Developing Countries: Private Involvement and Partnerships," FEP Working Papers 284, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Brenck, Andreas & Beckers, Thorsten & Heinrich, Maria & von Hirschhausen, Christian, 2005. "Public-private partnerships in new EU member countries of Central and Eastern Europe: An economic analysis with case studies from the highway sector," EIB Papers 10/2005, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
- Fandel, Günter & Giese, Anke & Mohn, Brigitte, 2012. "Measuring synergy effects of a Public Social Private Partnership (PSPP) project," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 140(2), pages 815-824.
- Pedro Barros & Xavier Martinez-Giralt, 2009. "Contractual design and PPPs for hospitals: lessons for the Portuguese model," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer, vol. 10(4), pages 437-453, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Prof. Werner Antweiler).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.