Regulation and Administered Contracts Revisited: Lessons from Transaction-Cost Economics for Public Utility Regulation
AbstractThis article reexamines the administered contracts approach to regulation in light of recent empirical research that establishes the importance of transaction-costs in the organizational choice and design decisions. After reviewing the fundamentals of transaction cost reasoning and the franchise bidding-versus-regulation debate, the study surveys the empirical literature on franchise bidding, contracting, and vertical integration. The implications of transaction-cost theories for current policies toward public utility regulation and deregulation are also addressed. Copyright 1996 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Regulatory Economics.
Volume (Year): 9 (1996)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100298
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:ner:dauphi:urn:hdl:123456789/5372 is not listed on IDEAS
- Anne Yvrande, 2000. "The New British Railways Structure A Transaction Cost Economics Analysis," DRUID Working Papers 00-5, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Francine Lafontaine & Kathryn L. Shaw, 1999.
"The Dynamics of Franchise Contracting: Evidence from Panel Data,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 107(5), pages 1041-1080, October.
- Francine Lafontaine & Kathryn L. Shaw, 1996. "The Dynamics of Franchise Contracting: Evidence from Panel Data," NBER Working Papers 5585, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gérard Charreaux, 2000. "L'approche économico-financière de l'investissement: une vision critique," Working Papers FARGO 1000501, Université de Bourgogne - Leg (laboratoire d'économie et de gestion)/Fargo (Research center in Finance,organizational ARchitecture and GOvernance).
- Boitani, Andrea & Cambini, Carlo, 2006.
"“To Bid or Not to Bid, This is the Question: The Italian Experience in Competitive Tendering for Local Bus Services”,"
2253, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Boitani, Andrea & Cambini, Carlo, 2006. "To bid or not to bid, this is the question: the Italian experience in competitive tendering for local bus services," European Transport \ Trasporti Europei, ISTIEE, Institute for the Study of Transport within the European Economic Integration, issue 33, pages 41-53.
- Michael Dietrich & Jackie Krafft, 2011.
"Firm development as an integrated process: with evidence from the General Motors - Fisher Body case,"
- Michael Dietrich & Jackie Krafft, 2011. "Firm development as an integrated process: with evidence from the General Motors–Fisher Body case," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 21(4), pages 665-686, October.
- Andreas Roider, 2006. "Fisher Body revisited: Supply contracts and vertical integration," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 22(2), pages 181-196, September.
- Carlos Alberto Barreto Nieto, 2011. "Modelo de asociación pública-privada: un enfoque de teoría de contratos," Revista de Economía Institucional, Universidad Externado de Colombia - Facultad de Economía, vol. 13(25), pages 249-274, July-Dece.
- Stéphane Saussier & Carine Staropoli & Anne Yvrande-Billon, 2009. "Public–Private Agreements, Institutions, and Competition: When Economic Theory Meets Facts," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 35(1), pages 1-18, September.
- Birke, Franziska, 2007. "Universaldienstregulierung in der Telekommunikation heute: Herausforderungen, Chancen und Risiken ; ein historischer Ansatz," Discussion Papers 114, University of Freiburg, Institute for Transport Economics and Regional Policy.
- Michael Dietrich & Jackie Krafft, 2008.
"À la recherche d'une théorie de la firme pertinente historiquement. Retour sur le cas d'intégration verticale General Motors/ Fisher Body (1926),"
De Boeck Université, vol. 0(1), pages 87-99.
- Michael Dietrich & Jackie Krafft, 2008. "A la recherche d'une théorie de la firme pertinente historiquement - Retour sur le cas d'intégration verticale General Motors - Fisher Body (1926)," Post-Print hal-00203553, HAL.
- Johan den Hertog, 2010. "Review of Economic Theories of Regulation," Working Papers 10-18, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Thomas Lyon & Nathan Wilson, 2012. "Capture or contract? The early years of electric utility regulation," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 42(3), pages 225-241, December.
- Nuno Ferreira da Cruz & Pedro Simões & Rui Cunha Marques, 2013. "The hurdles of local governments with PPP contracts in the waste sector," Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 31(2), pages 292-307, April.
- Jean-Etienne de Bettignies & Thomas W. Ross, 2004. "The Economics of Public-Private Partnerships," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 30(2), pages 135-154, June.
- Creti, Anna & Villeneuve, Bertrand, 2004. "Long-term contracts and take-or-pay clauses in natural gas Markets," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/5372, Paris Dauphine University.
- Massarutto, Antonio, 2007. "Municipal waste management as a local utility: Options for competition in an environmentally-regulated industry," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 9-19, March.
- Altman, Ira J. & Johnson, Thomas G., 2004. "A Transaction Cost Econoimcs View Of Agriculture Exchanges For Biopower: Theoretical And Methodological Concerns," 2004 Annual Meeting, February 14-18, 2004, Tulsa, Oklahoma 34686, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Anthon, Signe & Bogetoft, Peter & Thorsen, Bo Jellesmark, 2007. "Socially optimal procurement with tight budgets and rationing," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(7-8), pages 1625-1642, August.
- Stéphane Saussier, 1998. "La durée des contrats interentreprises : une analyse empirique," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, vol. 135(4), pages 137-146.
- Phang, Sock-Yong, 2007. "Urban rail transit PPPs: Survey and risk assessment of recent strategies," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 214-231, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.