Why Labor Market Response Differed in the Great Recession: The Impact of Institutions and Policy
AbstractThis paper investigates the performance of labor markets during the recent crisis for 28 industrialized countries, specifically the reaction of employment and unemployment indicators relative to output changes.We construct a composite indicator for output as well as labor market performance. The determinants of cross-country differences we chose are regulation, flexicurity elements and contracts. We find robust positive impact from labor market regulation, while the impact of flexicurity strategies and contracts are difficult to pin down econometrically. Finally, we venture a tentative look at the ongoing recovery.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by European Association Comenius - EACO in its journal DANUBE: Law and Economics Review.
Volume (Year): (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.eaco.eu
Financial Crisis; Great Recession; Labor Market; Short-TimeWork Agreements; Flexicurity; Okun’s Law;
Other versions of this item:
- Karl Aiginger & Thomas Horvath & Helmut Mahringer, . "Why Labour Market Response Differed in the Great Recession: The Impact of Institutions and Policy," WIFO Working Papers 396, WIFO.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aiginger, Karl, 2010. "The Great Recession versus the Great Depression: stylized facts on siblings that were given different foster parents," Economics Discussion Papers 2010-9, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Nickell, Stephen & Layard, Richard, 1999.
"Labor market institutions and economic performance,"
Handbook of Labor Economics,
in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 46, pages 3029-3084
- Nickell, S. & Layard, R., 1997. "Labour Market Institutions and Economic Performance," Papers 23, Centre for Economic Performance & Institute of Economics.
- Richard Layard & Stephen Nickell, 1998. "Labour Market Institutions and Economic Performance," CEP Discussion Papers dp0407, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Gaston Gelos & Robert Rennhack & James P Walsh & Pelin Berkmen, 2009.
"The Global Financial Crisis: Explaining Cross-Country Differences in the Output Impact,"
IMF Working Papers
09/280, International Monetary Fund.
- Berkmen, S. Pelin & Gelos, Gaston & Rennhack, Robert & Walsh, James P., 2012. "The global financial crisis: Explaining cross-country differences in the output impact," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 42-59.
- Martin, John P. & Scarpetta, Stefano, 2011.
"Setting It Right: Employment Protection, Labour Reallocation and Productivity,"
IZA Policy Papers
27, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- John Martin & Stefano Scarpetta, 2012. "Setting It Right: Employment Protection, Labour Reallocation and Productivity," De Economist, Springer, vol. 160(2), pages 89-116, June.
- Blanchard, Olivier J & Cottarelli, Carlo & Spilimbergo, Antonio & Symansky, Steven, 2009.
"Fiscal Policy for the Crisis,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7130, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2009.
"The Aftermath of Financial Crises,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7209, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Karl Aiginger, 2011. "Why Performance Differed Across Countries in the Recent Crisis. How Country Performance in the Recent Crisis Depended on Pre-crisis Conditions," WIFO Working Papers 387, WIFO.
- Gian-Maria Milesi-Ferretti & Philip R. Lane, 2010.
"The Cross-Country Incidence of the Global Crisis,"
IMF Working Papers
10/171, International Monetary Fund.
- Philip Lane & Gian Maria Milesi-Ferretti, 2010. "The Cross-Country Incidence of the Global Crisis," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp333, IIIS.
- Lane, Philip R. & Milesi-Ferretti, Gian Maria, 2010. "The Cross-Country Incidence of the Global Crisis," CEPR Discussion Papers 7954, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Howell David R. & Baker Dean & Glyn Andrew & Schmitt John, 2007. "Are Protective Labor Market Institutions at the Root of Unemployment? A Critical Review of the Evidence," Capitalism and Society, De Gruyter, vol. 2(1), pages 1-73, May.
- AIGINGER Karl, 2011. "Why Performance Differed Across Countries In The Recent Crisis," Revista Economica, Lucian Blaga University of Sibiu, Faculty of Economic Sciences, vol. 55(2), pages 20-27.
- Franz Traxler, 2003. "Bargaining (De)centralization, Macroeconomic Performance and Control over the Employment Relationship," British Journal of Industrial Relations, London School of Economics, vol. 41(1), pages 1-27, 03.
- Karl Aiginger, 2010. "Post Crisis Policy: Some Reflections of a Keynesian Economist," WIFO Working Papers 371, WIFO.
- Jean-Claude Barbier & Fabrice Colomb & Per Kongshøj Madsen, 2009. "Flexicurity - an open method of coordination, at the national level ?," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 09046, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Karl Aiginger, 2009. "Strengthening the resilience of an economy," Intereconomics: Review of European Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 44(5), pages 309-316, September.
- Stijn Claessens & Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Deniz Igan & Luc Laeven, 2010. "Cross-country experiences and policy implications from the global financial crisis," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 25, pages 267-293, 04.
- Christine Erhel & Charlotte Levionnois, 2013. "Labour Market Policies in Times of Crisis: A Comparison of the 1992-1993 and 2008-2010 Recessions," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00880933, HAL.
- Christine Erhel & Charlotte Levionnois, 2013. "Labour Market Policies in Times of Crisis: A Comparison of the 1992-1993 and 2008-2010 Recessions," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 13060, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zuzana Machova).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.