A Modelling Approach for Evaluating Agri-Environmental Policies at Sector Level
AbstractThis paper presents a new approach to evaluate the cost effectiveness of agri-environmental policies at sector level. Policy uptake, cumulative environmental effects and public expenditure are identified as the main determinants of cost-effectiveness. On the basis of the sector-consistent, comparative-static, farm group model FARMIS, the determinants of policy cost-effectiveness at sector level are addressed. Firstly, intensity levels for the FARMIS activities are defined in order to model uptake of agri-environmental policies with FARMIS, secondly, life-cycle assessment data is attached to these intensity levels to determine environmental effects of the policies and thirdly, public expenditure is calculated under consideration of transaction costs. This paper concludes delineating the strengths and limitations of the approach.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Swiss Society for Agricultural Economics and Rural Sociology in its journal Yearbook of Socioeconomics in Agriculture.
Volume (Year): 1 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
positive mathematical programming; life-cycle assessment; organic farming; uptake rate; environmental indicators; economic efficiency;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q12 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Micro Analysis of Farm Firms, Farm Households, and Farm Input Markets
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
- Q57 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Ecological Economics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Judez, L. & Chaya, C. & Martinez, S. & Gonzalez, A. A., 2001. "Effects of the measures envisaged in "Agenda 2000" on arable crop producers and beef and veal producers: an application of Positive Mathematical Programming to representative farms of a Span," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 121-138, February.
- Frondel, Manuel & Schmidt, Christoph M., 2001.
"Evaluating environmental programs: the perspective of modern evaluation research,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
01-59, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Frondel, Manuel & Schmidt, Christoph M., 2005. "Evaluating environmental programs: The perspective of modern evaluation research," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(4), pages 515-526, December.
- Eppink, Florian V. & van den Bergh, Jeroen C.J.M., 2007. "Ecological theories and indicators in economic models of biodiversity loss and conservation: A critical review," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(2-3), pages 284-293, March.
- Claudia Sattler & Johannes Schuler & Peter Zander, 2006. "Determination of trade-off-functions to analyse the provision of agricultural non-commodities," International Journal of Agricultural Resources, Governance and Ecology, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 5(2/3), pages 309-325.
- Ottmar R�hm & Stephan Dabbert, 2003. "Integrating Agri-Environmental Programs into Regional Production Models: An Extension of Positive Mathematical Programming," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(1), pages 254-265.
- Markus F. Hofreither & Erwin Schmid & Franz Sinabell, 2004.
"Phasing out of Environmentally Harmful Subsidies: Consequences of the 2003 CAP Reform,"
WIFO Working Papers
- Schmid, Erwin & Sinabell, Franz & Hofreither, Markus F., 2007. "Phasing out of environmentally harmful subsidies: Consequences of the 2003 CAP reform," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(3), pages 596-604, January.
- Pufahl, Andrea & Weiss, Christoph R., 2008. "Evaluating the Effects of Farm Programs: Results from Propensity Score Matching," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44149, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Pufahl, Andrea & Weiss, Christoph R., 2008. "Evaluating the Effects of Farm Programs: Results from Propensity Score Matching," 107th Seminar, January 30-February 1, 2008, Sevilla, Spain 6635, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- McCann, Laura & Colby, Bonnie & Easter, K. William & Kasterine, Alexander & Kuperan, K.V., 2005. "Transaction cost measurement for evaluating environmental policies," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(4), pages 527-542, March.
- Odening, Martin & Musshoff, Oliver & Utesch, Volker, 2004. "Der Wechsel vom konventionellen zum Ã¶kologischen Landbau: Eine investitionstheoretische Betrachtung," German Journal of Agricultural Economics, Humboldt-Universitaet zu Berlin, Department for Agricultural Economics, vol. 53(6).
- Isabel Vanslembrouck & Guido Huylenbroeck & Wim Verbeke, 2002. "Determinants of the Willingness of Belgian Farmers to Participate in Agri-environmental Measures," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(3), pages 489-511.
- Henning, Christian H.C.A. & Michalek, Jerzy, 2008. "Ã–konometrische Methoden der Politikevaluation: Meilenstein fÃ¼r eine sinnvolle Agrarpolitik der 2. SÃ¤ule oder akademische FingerÃ¼bung?," German Journal of Agricultural Economics, Humboldt-Universitaet zu Berlin, Department for Agricultural Economics, vol. 57(3/4).
- van Ittersum, Martin K. & Ewert, Frank & Heckelei, Thomas & Wery, Jacques & Alkan Olsson, Johanna & Andersen, Erling & Bezlepkina, Irina & Brouwer, Floor & Donatelli, Marcello & Flichman, Guillermo & , 2008. "Integrated assessment of agricultural systems - A component-based framework for the European Union (SEAMLESS)," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 96(1-3), pages 150-165, March.
- Marco Caliendo & Reinhard Hujer, 2006.
"The microeconometric estimation of treatment effects—An overview,"
AStA Advances in Statistical Analysis,
Springer, vol. 90(1), pages 199-215, March.
- Caliendo, Marco & Hujer, Reinhard, 2005. "The Microeconometric Estimation of Treatment Effects - An Overview," IZA Discussion Papers 1653, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Drummond, Michael F. & Sculpher, Mark J. & Torrance, George W. & O'Brien, Bernie J. & Stoddart, Greg L., 2005. "Methods for the Economic Evaluation of Health Care Programmes," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, edition 3, number 9780198529453.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simon Briner).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.