Partenariats public-privé et investissements de fin de contrat : le cas de l'industrie de l'eau en France
AbstractThe efficiency of franchise bidding schemes for network industries has been challenged by many authors. One of the problems with this kind of schemes concerns the lack of investment?s incentives of the incumbent at the end of the contract. The goal of this article is twofold. First, we explain why the French water industry is rather characterized by investment incentives problems of incumbents toward the end of the contract. Second, using a database collected on a sample of 5000 municipalities in France in 2001, we propose some econometric tests emphasizing that in the French water sector, private firms have less and less incentives to invest as the end of the contract arrives. More precisely, we show using our data that a solution adopted by local authorities to face this problem is to substitute for private firms for the specific investments that must be made at the end of the contract. Our results therefore confirm the proposition generally admitted by contract theory of under-investment risks of incumbents at the end of the franchise bidding agreement. JEL Classification: D23, L51, L95.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by De Boeck Université in its journal Recherches économiques de Louvain.
Volume (Year): 76 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.cairn.info/revue-recherches-economiques-de-louvain.htm
franchise bidding; under investment; water industry;
Other versions of this item:
- Eshien Chong & Freddy Huet, 2010. "Partenariats public-privé et investissement de fin de contrat : le cas de l’industrie de l’eau en France," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 2010044, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- D23 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Organizational Behavior; Transaction Costs; Property Rights
- L51 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Economics of Regulation
- L95 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Gas Utilities; Pipelines; Water Utilities
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eduardo M. R. A. Engel & Ronald D. Fischer & Alexander Galetovic, 2001.
"Least-Present-Value-of-Revenue Auctions and Highway Franchising,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 109(5), pages 993-1020, October.
- Eduardo Engel & Ronald Fischer & Alexander Galetovic, 1998. "Least-Present-Value-of-Revenue Auctions and Highway Franchising," Documentos de Trabajo 37, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Eduardo M.R.A. Engel & Ronald D. Fischer & Alexander Galetovic, 1998. "Least-Present-Value-of-Revenue Auctions and Highway Franchising," NBER Working Papers 6689, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Serge Garcia & Alban Thomas, 2003. "Regulation of Public Utilities under Asymmetric Information," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 26(1), pages 145-162, September.
- Hart, Oliver, 1995. "Firms, Contracts, and Financial Structure," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198288817.
- Jean-Jacques Laffont & Jean Tirole, 1993. "A Theory of Incentives in Procurement and Regulation," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262121743, December.
- Mark Armstrong & David E.M. Sappington, 2006.
"Regulation, Competition and Liberalization,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 44(2), pages 325-366, June.
- Baldwin, Robert & Cave, Martin & Lodge, Martin, 2011.
"Understanding Regulation: Theory, Strategy, and Practice,"
Oxford University Press,
edition 2, number 9780199576098.
- Baldwin, Robert & Cave, Martin, 1999. "Understanding Regulation: Theory, Strategy, and Practice," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774389.
- Eshien Chong & Freddy Huet & Stéphane Saussier & Faye Steiner, 2006. "Public-Private Partnerships and Prices: Evidence from Water Distribution in France," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 149-169, September.
- Stéphane SAUSSIER, 1999. "Transaction Cost Economics and Contract Duration : An Empirical Analysis of EDF Coal Contracts," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 1999011, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- J. Luis Guasch, 2004. "Granting and Renegotiating Infrastructure Concessions : Doing it Right," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15024, October.
- Klein, Michael, 1998. "Bidding for concessions," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1957, The World Bank.
- Serge Garcia & Alban Thomas, 2001. "The Structure of Municipal Water Supply Costs: Application to a Panel of French Local Communities," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 5-29, July.
- David Martimort & Wilfried Sand‐Zantman, 2006. "Signalling and the design of delegated management contracts for public utilities," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 37(4), pages 763-782, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jean-Baptiste de Vathaire).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.