The Relationship Between Financial Variables and Real Economic Activity: Evidence From Spectral and Wavelet Analyses
AbstractMany empirical studies find that financial variables possess a predictive power over real economic activity. To examine this relationship, we adopt two time-series techniques: spectral analysis and a newly developed method, wavelet analysis. The major innovation of this paper is to apply wavelet analysis to the investigation of the relationship between various financial variables and real economic activity. Spectral analysis reports that US industrial production and financial variables have a common component in the long run and a varying lead-lag relationship, depending on the cycles. It implies that the relationship between US industrial production and the financial variables is not constant over time. This result is consistently confirmed by wavelet analysis. The lead-lag relationship, in the sense of Granger causality, varies over time, depending on the wavelet time scale.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by De Gruyter in its journal Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 7 (2003)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.degruyter.com
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:ner:carlos:info:hdl:10016/4701 is not listed on IDEAS
- Marco Gallegati & Mauro Gallegati, 2005. "Wavelet variance and correlation analyses of output in G7 countries," Macroeconomics 0512017, EconWPA.
- Nachane, D.M. & Dubey, Amlendu Kumar, 2011. "The vanishing role of money in the macro-economy: An empirical investigation for India," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 859-869, May.
- R. Khalfaoui & M. Boutahar, 2012.
"Portfolio Risk Evaluation: An Approach Based on Dynamic Conditional Correlations Models and Wavelet Multi-Resolution Analysis,"
- Rabeh Khalfaoui & Mohammed Boutahar, 2012. "Portfolio Risk Evaluation An Approach Based on Dynamic Conditional Correlations Models and Wavelet Multi-Resolution Analysis," AMSE Working Papers 1208, Aix-Marseille School of Economics, Marseille, France.
- Khalfaoui, R & Boutahar, M, 2012. "Portfolio risk evaluation: An approach based on dynamic conditional correlations models and wavelet multiresolution analysis," MPRA Paper 41624, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rua, António & Nunes, Luis C., 2012.
"A wavelet-based assessment of market risk: The emerging markets case,"
The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 84-92.
- António Rua & Luís Catela Nunes, 2012. "A wavelet-based assessment of market risk: The emerging markets case," Working Papers w201203, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Haven, Emmanuel & Liu, Xiaoquan & Shen, Liya, 2012. "De-noising option prices with the wavelet method," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 222(1), pages 104-112.
- Crowley , Patrick & Maraun , Douglas & Mayes , David, 2006. "How hard is the euro are core? An evaluation of growth cycles using wavelet analysis," Research Discussion Papers 18/2006, Bank of Finland.
- Patrick M. Crowley, 2005.
"An intuitive guide to wavelets for economists,"
GE, Growth, Math methods
- D.M. Nachane & Amlendu Kumar Dubey, 2008. "The vanishing role of money in the macroeconomy: An Empirical investigation based on spectral and wavelet analysis," Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers 2008-022, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
- Gallegati, Marco & Ramsey, James B., 2013. "Structural change and phase variation: A re-examination of the q-model using wavelet exploratory analysis," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 25(C), pages 60-73.
- Cifter, Atilla & Ozun, Alper, 2007. "Multiscale Systematic Risk: An Application on ISE-30," MPRA Paper 2484, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kim, Sangbae & In, Francis, 2007. "On the relationship between changes in stock prices and bond yields in the G7 countries: Wavelet analysis," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 167-179, April.
- Masih, Mansur & Alzahrani, Mohammed & Al-Titi, Omar, 2010. "Systematic risk and time scales: New evidence from an application of wavelet approach to the emerging Gulf stock markets," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 10-18, January.
- Tiwari, Aviral Kumar & Dar, Arif Billah & Bhanja, Niyati, 2013. "Oil price and exchange rates: A wavelet based analysis for India," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 414-422.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.