High Road to a Global Marketplace: The International Transmission of Stock Market Fluctuations
AbstractThe paper reports the results of a cross-spectral analysis of the price behavior of stock market indices in 23 countries. The primary goal of our study is to test for interdependence between the time series of stock market indices to support or reject the hypothesis that world markets are becoming more integrated. We reassess and extend findings of the late 1970s measuring the coherence and lead/lag relationship between stock markets world-wide, employing a time series of daily country index returns. In contrast to earlier results, we find a high and statistically significant level of interdependence between stock markets, and we also find that U.S. index prices lead almost every country index in the sample. Copyright 1990 by MIT Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Eastern Finance Association in its journal The Financial Review.
Volume (Year): 25 (1990)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Pan, Ming-Shiun & Liu, Y. Angela & Roth, Herbert J., 1999. "Common stochastic trends and volatility in Asian-Pacific equity markets," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 161-172.
- Smith, Kenneth L., 2001. "Pre- and post-1987 crash frequency domain analysis among Pacific Rim equity markets," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 69-87, February.
- Philip Kostov & Ziping Wu & Seamus McErlean, 2004. "Do Chinese stock markets share common information arrival processes?," Econometrics 0410001, EconWPA.
- Eduardo Roca & Victor S.H. Wong & Gurudeo Anand Tularam, 2010. "Are socially responsible investment markets worldwide integrated?," Accounting Research Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 23(3), pages 281 - 301, November.
- Kearney, Colm & Lucey, Brian M., 2004. "International equity market integration: Theory, evidence and implications," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 571-583.
- Vo, Xuan Vinh, 2009. "International financial integration in Asian bond markets," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 90-106, January.
- Martens, Martin & Poon, Ser-Huang, 2001. "Returns synchronization and daily correlation dynamics between international stock markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(10), pages 1805-1827, October.
- C. D. Sinclair & D. M. Power & A. A. Lonie & C. V. Helliar, 1997. "An investigation of the stability of returns in Western European equity markets," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(1), pages 87-106.
- Orlov, Alexei G., 2009. "A cospectral analysis of exchange rate comovements during Asian financial crisis," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 742-758, December.
- Dorota Witkowska & Krzysztof Kompa & Aleksandra Matuszewska-Janica, 2012. "Analysis of Linkages between Central and Eastern European Capital Markets," Dynamic Econometric Models, Uniwersytet Mikolaja Kopernika, vol. 12, pages 19-34.
- Hassan, M. Kabir & Naka, Atsuyuki, 1996. "Short-run and long-run dynamic linkages among international stock markets," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 387-405.
- Söehnke Bartram & Stephen Taylor & Yaw-Huei Wang, 2004. "The Euro and European Financial Market Integration," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2004 49, Money Macro and Finance Research Group, revised 13 Oct 2004.
- Bracker, Kevin & Koch, Paul D., 1999. "Economic determinants of the correlation structure across international equity markets," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 51(6), pages 443-471.
- Elaine Jones, 2009. "Recession And International Market Correlations," Working Papers 0901, University of Central Missouri, Department of Economics & Finance, revised Jul 2009.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.