Wer wird subventioniert? Subventionen in deutschen Industrieunternehmen 1999-2006
AbstractUsing newly available representative longitudinal data for German manufacturing enterprises over the period 1999 to 2006 this study presents the first comprehensive empirical evidence on subsidized and non-subsidized firms in East and West Germany. The share of subsidized firms in all firms was considerably larger in East Germany than in West Germany in every year. In both parts of Germany many firms with subsidies receive only a small amount per employee, while only some firms receive large amounts. Subsidized and non-subsidized firms differ with regard to size, productivity, human capital intensity, profitability and research and development intensity. It is shown that subsidized firms had a higher intensity of research and development before receiving subsidies. We find no evidence for a positive causal effect of subsidies on any dimension of firm performance. Copyright 2010 die Autoren Journal compilation 2010, Verein für Socialpolitik und Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Verein für Socialpolitik in its journal Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik.
Volume (Year): 11 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (02)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1465-6493
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Joachim Wagner, 2009. "Wer wird subventioniert? Subventionen in deutschen Industrieunternehmen 1999 – 2006," Working Paper Series in Economics 110, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Wagner, Joachim, 2009. "Wer wird subventioniert? Subventionen in deutschen Industrieunternehmen 1999-2006," IZA Standpunkte 3, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- H20 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - General
- L60 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael Fritsch & Bernd Görzig & Ottmar Hennchen & Andreas Stephan, 2004. "European Data Watch: Cost Structure Surveys for Germany," Schmollers Jahrbuch : Journal of Applied Social Science Studies / Zeitschrift für Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaften, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 124(4), pages 557-566.
- Alfred Boss & Astrid Rosenschon, 2006. "Subventionen in Deutschland: Eine Bestandsaufnahme," Kiel Working Papers 1267, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Alberto Abadie & Guido W. Imbens, 2006.
"On the Failure of the Bootstrap for Matching Estimators,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0325, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alberto Abadie & Guido W. Imbens, 2008. "On the Failure of the Bootstrap for Matching Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 76(6), pages 1537-1557, November.
- Imbens, Guido & Abadie, Alberto, 2008. "On the Failure of the Bootstrap for Matching Estimators," Scholarly Articles 3043415, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Ulrich Kaiser & Joachim Wagner, 2007.
"Neue Möglichkeiten zur Nutzung vertraulicher amtlicher Personen- und Firmendaten,"
Working Paper Series in Economics
48, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Ulrich Kaiser & Joachim Wagner, 2008. "Neue Möglichkeiten zur Nutzung vertraulicher amtlicher Personen- und Firmendaten," Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 9(3), pages 329-349, 08.
- Hussinger, Katrin, 2003.
"R&D and Subsidies at the Firm Level: An Application of Parametric and Semi-Parametric Two-Step Selection Models,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
03-63, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Katrin Hussinger, 2008. "R&D and subsidies at the firm level: an application of parametric and semiparametric two-step selection models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(6), pages 729-747.
- Katrin Hussinger, 2004. "R&D and Subsidies at the Firm Level: An Application of Parametric and Semi-Parametric Two-Step Selection Models," Public Economics 0403005, EconWPA.
- Edwin Leuven & Barbara Sianesi, 2003. "PSMATCH2: Stata module to perform full Mahalanobis and propensity score matching, common support graphing, and covariate imbalance testing," Statistical Software Components S432001, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 12 Feb 2014.
- Barbara Sianesi, 2001. "Propensity score matching," United Kingdom Stata Users' Group Meetings 2001 12, Stata Users Group, revised 23 Aug 2001.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.