Practical Considerations for Choosing Between Tobit and SCLS or CLAD Estimators for Censored Regression Models with an Application to Charitable Giving
AbstractPractical considerations for choosing between Tobit, symmetrically censored least squares (SCLS) and censored least absolute deviations (CLAD) estimators are offered. Practical considerations deal with when a Hausman test is better than a conditional moment test for judging the severity of a misspecification, the need to bootstrap the sampling distributions of the Hausman tests, what to look for in a graphical examination of the residuals and the limited value of SCLS. The practical considerations are applied to a model of the intergenerational transmission of charitable giving using new data from the Panel Study of Income Dynamics (PSID). The paper shows how to use relative distribution methods to calculate CLAD-based marginal effects on the observable dependent variable. Copyright (c) Blackwell Publishing Ltd and the Department of Economics, University of Oxford, 2008.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, University of Oxford in its journal Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): 70 (2008)
Issue (Month): 4 (08)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Manor Rd. Building, Oxford, OX1 3UQ
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0305-9049
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Baris Yoruk, 2013. "Do Charitable Subsidies Crowd Out Political Giving? The Missing Link Between Charitable and Political Contributions," Discussion Papers 13-09, University at Albany, SUNY, Department of Economics.
- Pradhan, Jaya Prakash & Zohair, Mohammad & Alagawadi, Mallikarjun V., 2012.
"Regional Policies, Firm Characteristics, and Exporting in the Indian State of Karnataka,"
40717, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jaya Prakash Pradhan & Mohammad Zohair & Mallikarjun V. Alagawadi, 2013. "Regional Policies, Firm Characteristics and Exporting in the Indian State of Karnataka," Foreign Trade Review, , vol. 48(1), pages 45-81, February.
- Pollmann, Daniel & Dohmen, Thomas & Palm, Franz C., 2012.
"Robust Estimation of Wage Dispersion with Censored Data: An Application to Occupational Earnings Risk and Risk Attitudes,"
IZA Discussion Papers
6447, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Daniel Pollmann & Thomas Dohmen & Franz Palm, 2013. "Robust Estimation of Wage Dispersion with Censored Data: An Application to Occupational Earnings Risk and Risk Attitudes," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 572, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Pradhan, Jaya Prakash, 2011. "Regional heterogeneity and firms’ innovation: the role of regional factors in industrial R&D in India," MPRA Paper 28096, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Atamanov, Aziz & Van den Berg, Marrit, 2012. "Determinants of the rural nonfarm economy in Tajikistan," MERIT Working Papers 080, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Pradhan, Jaya Prakash & Das, Keshab, 2012. "Exports by Indian Manufacturing SMEs: Regional Patterns and Determinants," MPRA Paper 41804, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pradhan, Jaya Prakash, 2010. "R&D strategy of small and medium enterprises in India: Trends and determinants," MPRA Paper 20951, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Steinberg, Richard & Zhang, Ye & Brown, Eleanor & Rooney, Patrick, 2010. "Earned, owned, or transferred: are donations sensitive to the composition of income and wealth?," MPRA Paper 30082, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.