Regional Policies, Firm Characteristics, and Exporting in the Indian State of Karnataka
AbstractKarnataka is among pioneering Indian states to frame suitable policies aimed at encouraging local firms’ export activities. Promotion and facilitation of firms to look beyond national market was achieved by creating a strong enabling institutional framework, supporting expansion of productive capacity, and helping exporting firms gain access to required physical infrastructure. As a result of such policies, exports from the Indian state of Karnataka have been growing rapidly with contributing over half a quarter of Indian exports of commodities and software. The present study provides an overview of export trends and patterns of Karnataka in the backdrop of the state policy developments. It examines the relevance of various factors pertinent to the exports by Karnataka manufacturing firms and deduces implications for development policy of the state.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 40717.
Date of creation: 17 Aug 2012
Date of revision:
Export Policies; Exports; Karnataka; India;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F10 - International Economics - - Trade - - - General
- O24 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy - - - Trade Policy; Factor Movement; Foreign Exchange Policy
- O53 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Asia including Middle East
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-09-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-GEO-2012-09-09 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-INT-2012-09-09 (International Trade)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pradhan, Jaya Prakash, 2007.
"Growth of Indian Multinationals in the World Economy: Implications for Development,"
12360, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jaya Prakash Pradhan, . "Growth of Indian Multinationals in the World Economy: Implications for Development," Working Papers 0704, Institute for Studies in Industrial Development (ISID).
- BARRIOS, Salvador & GÖRG, Holger & STROBL, Eric, .
"Explaining firms' export behaviour: R&D, spillovers and the destination market,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1654, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Salvador Barrios & Holger Goerg & Eric Strobl, 2003. "Explaining Firms' Export Behaviour: R&D, Spillovers and the Destination Market," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 65(4), pages 475-496, 09.
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1982. "Selection and the Evolution of Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 649-70, May.
- Anh Ngoc Nguyen & Ngoc Quang Pham & Chuc Dinh Nguyen & Nhat Duc Nguyen, 2008.
"Innovation and Export of Vietnam's SME Sector,"
09, Development and Policies Research Center (DEPOCEN), Vietnam.
- A. Aggarwal, 2002. "Liberalisation, Multinational Enterprises and Export Performance: Evidence from Indian Manufacturing," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(3), pages 119-137.
- Powell, James L., 1986. "Censored regression quantiles," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 143-155, June.
- Braunerhjelm, Pontus, 1996. "The relation between firm-specific intangibles and exports," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 213-219, November.
- Mark Ottoni Wilhelm, 2008. "Practical Considerations for Choosing Between Tobit and SCLS or CLAD Estimators for Censored Regression Models with an Application to Charitable Giving," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 70(4), pages 559-582, 08.
- Teitel, Simon, 1981. "Towards an understanding of technical change in semi-industrialized countries," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 127-147, July.
- Alessandro Sterlacchini, 2001. "The determinants of export performance: A firm-level study of Italian manufacturing," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 137(3), pages 450-472, September.
- Pradhan, Jaya Prakash & Das, Keshab, 2012.
"Regional Origin of Manufacturing Exports: Inter-State Patterns in India,"
41801, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pradhan, Jaya Prakash & Das, Keshab, 2012. "Regional Origin Of Manufacturing Exports: Inter-State Patterns In India," Journal of Regional Development and Planning, JRDP, vol. 1(2), pages 117-168.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.