The Gender Wage Gap and Poverty in Colombia
AbstractUsing 19 years of cross-section wage data, we look at the trend of the ratio of male to female wages in Colombia. First, we observe a long-term trend towards an increase in the gender wage gap that may be related to new labor regulations giving more protection to women and thereby raising the cost of female employment for firms. Second, we measure the impact on poverty of the increasing gap by producing estimates of the income distribution for the subsequent years had the wage gap remained at the low level it used to be in the early 1990s. As mainly low-skilled women suffered from the increase in the wage gap, we find that the phenomenon contributed to an overall increase in poverty during the decade. Copyright 2006 The Authors; Journal compilation 2006 CEIS, Fondazione Giacomo Brodolini and Blackwell Publishing Ltd..
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by CEIS in its journal LABOUR.
Volume (Year): 20 (2006)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Via Columbia, 2 00133 Roma
Phone: 0039 06 2040234
Fax: 0039 06 2020687
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1121-7081
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Alejandro Hoyos & Hugo Ñopo & Ximena Peña, 2010.
"The Persistent Gender Earnings Gap in Colombia, 1994-2006,"
007094, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Alejandro Hoyos & Hugo Ñopo & Ximena Peña, 2010. "The Persistent Gender Earnings Gap in Colombia, 1994-2006," DOCUMENTOS CEDE 007095, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Alejandro Hoyos & Hugo Nopo & Ximena Pena, 2010. "The Persistent Gender Earnings Gap in Colombia, 1994-2006," Research Department Publications 4673, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Hoyos, Alejandro & Nopo, Hugo & Peña, Ximena, 2010. "The Persistent Gender Earnings Gap in Colombia, 1994-2006," IZA Discussion Papers 5073, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Juan Pablo Atal & Hugo Nopo & Natalia Winder, 2009.
"New Century, Old Disparities: Gender and Ethnic Wage Gaps in Latin America,"
Research Department Publications
4640, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Nopo, Hugo & Atal, Juan Pablo & Winder, Natalia, 2010. "New Century, Old Disparities: Gender and Ethnic Wage Gaps in Latin America," IZA Discussion Papers 5085, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Arturo Galindo & Marcela Melendez, 2010. "Corporate Tax Stimulus and Investment in Colombia," Research Department Publications 4664, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Luis Armando Galvis, 2010.
"Diferencias salariales por género y región en Colombia: una aproximación con regresión por cuantiles,"
DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO SOBRE ECONOMÃA REGIONAL
007428, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ECONOMÍA REGIONAL.
- Luis Armando Galvis, 2010. "Diferenciales salariales por género y región en Colombia: una aproximación con regresión por cuantiles," REVISTA DE ECONOMÍA DEL ROSARIO, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- Sara de la Rica & Luz Karime Abadía Alvarado, 2011. "Changes in the Gender Wage Gap and the Role of Education and Other Job Characteristics: Colombia 1994-2010," VNIVERSITAS ECONÃMICA 010088, UNIVERSIDAD JAVERIANA - BOGOTÁ.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.