The Bernanke and Blinder Model in an Open Economy: The Italian Case
AbstractThis paper analyzes the functioning of monetary policy transmission mechanisms in Italy from 1984 to 1998, highlighting the role performed by the credit system. We extend the Bernanke and Blinder model (1988) to the case of an open economy under a quasi-fixed exchange rate regime, deriving analytically the conditions for the functioning of the three monetary policy channels generally identified in the literature ('money', 'exchange rate' and 'credit'). These conditions explain the partial effectiveness of monetary policy in achieving price and income targets, while maintaining external equilibrium. By means of a structural VECM analysis, we evaluate the effectiveness of the transmission of monetary policy through the three channels. Copyright Verein für Socialpolitik and Blackwell Publishing Ltd. 2004.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Verein für Socialpolitik in its journal German Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 5 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 (02)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1465-6485
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Trautwein, Hans-Michael, 2000. " The Credit View, Old and New," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(2), pages 155-89, April.
- Luca Dedola & Francesco Lippi, 2000.
"The monetary transmission mechanism; evidence from the industries of five OECD countries,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
389, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Dedola, Luca & Lippi, Francesco, 2005. "The monetary transmission mechanism: Evidence from the industries of five OECD countries," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 49(6), pages 1543-1569, August.
- Dedola, Luca & Lippi, Francesco, 2000. "The Monetary Transmission Mechanism: Evidence from the Industries of Five OECD Countries," CEPR Discussion Papers 2508, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dedola, L. & Lippi, F., 2000. "The Monetary Transmission Mechanism: Evidence from the Industries of Five OECD Countries," Papers 389, Banca Italia - Servizio di Studi.
- Fernando Barran & Virginie Coudert & Benoît Mojon, 1996. "The Transmission of Monetary Policy in the European Countries," Working Papers 1996-03, CEPII research center.
- Giuseppe De Arcangelis & Giorgio Di Giorgio, 1999. "Monetary policy shocks and transmission in Italy: A VAR analysis," Economics Working Papers 446, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Angeloni,I. & Buttiglione,L. & Ferri,G. & Gaiotti,E., 1995. "The Credit Channel of Policy Across Heterogeneous Banks:the Case of Italy," Papers 256, Banca Italia - Servizio di Studi.
- Giuseppe De Arcangelis & Giorgio Di Giorgio, 1998. "In Search of Monetary Policy Measures: The Case of Italy in the 1990s," Giornale degli Economisti, GDE (Giornale degli Economisti e Annali di Economia), Bocconi University, vol. 57(2), pages 213-250, September.
- Fernando Barran & Benoît Mojon & Virginie Coudert, 1995.
"Transmission de la politique monétaire et crédit bancaire. Une application à trois pays de l'OCDE,"
Programme National Persée, vol. 46(2), pages 393-413.
- Benoît Mojon & Virginie Coudert & Fernando Barran, 1995. "Transmission de la politique monétaire et crédit bancaire. Une application à trois pays de l'OCDE," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 0(2), pages 393-413.
- V. Anton Muscatelli & Patrizio Tirelli & Carmine Trecroci, 1998.
"Institutional Change, Inflation Targeting and the Stability of Interest Rate Reaction Functions,"
20, University of Milano-Bicocca, Department of Economics, revised Oct 1998.
- V. Anton Muscatelli & Patrizio Tirelli & Carmine Trecroci, 1998. "Institutional Change, Inflation Targeting and the Stability of Interest Rate Reaction Functions," Working Papers 9815, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow, revised Aug 1998.
- Johansen, Søren & Juselius, Katarina, 1992. "Testing structural hypotheses in a multivariate cointegration analysis of the PPP and the UIP for UK," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1-3), pages 211-244.
- Spencer Dale & Andrew Haldane, 1993.
"Interest rate control in a model of monetary policy,"
Bank of England working papers
17, Bank of England.
- Dale, Spencer & Haldane, Andrew G, 1998. "Interest Rate Control in a Model of Monetary Policy," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 66(3), pages 354-75, June.
- Eric M. Leeper & Christopher A. Sims & Tao Zha, 1996. "What Does Monetary Policy Do?," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 27(2), pages 1-78.
- Grande, Giuseppe, 1997.
"Properties of the monetary conditions index,"
23515, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dale, Spencer & Haldane, Andrew G., 1995.
"Interest rates and the channels of monetary transmission: Some sectoral estimates,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 39(9), pages 1611-1626, December.
- Spencer Dale & Andrew Haldane, 1993. "Interest rates and the channels of monetary transmission: some sectoral estimates," Bank of England working papers 18, Bank of England.
- Davidson, James, 1998. "Structural relations, cointegration and identification: some simple results and their application," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 87-113, August.
- Gambacorta Leonardo, 2001. "Gli effetti di asimmetrie strutturali nella domanda aggregata per la politica monetaria della BCE," Economia politica, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 2, pages 217-248.
- Bagliano, Fabio-Cesare & Favero, Carlo A, 1997.
"Measuring Monetary Policy with VAR Models: An Evaluation,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1743, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bagliano, Fabio C. & Favero, Carlo A., 1998. "Measuring monetary policy with VAR models: An evaluation," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(6), pages 1069-1112, June.
- Fabio C. Bagliano & Carlo A. Favero, . "Measuring Monetary Policy with VAR Models: an Evaluation," Working Papers 132, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Frank Smets, 1997.
"Measuring monetary policy shocks in France, Germany and Italy: The role of the exchange rate,"
BIS Working Papers
42, Bank for International Settlements.
- Fank Smets, 1997. "Measuring Monetary Policy Shocks in France, Germany and Italy: The Role of The Exchange Rate," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 133(III), pages 597-616, September.
- Eugenio Gaiotti, 1999. "The transmission of monetary policy shocks in Italy," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 363, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Raphaëlle Bellando & Jean-Paul Pollin, 1996.
"Le canal du crédit en France depuis la déréglementation financière : quelques tests exploratoires,"
Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 0(3), pages 731-743.
- Jean-Paul Pollin & Raphaëlle Bellando, 1996. "Le canal du crédit en France depuis la déréglementation financière : quelques tests exploratoires," Revue Économique, Programme National Persée, vol. 47(3), pages 731-743.
- Eugenio Gaiotti & Andrea Gavosto & Giuseppe Grande, 1998. "The Rise and Fall of Inflation in Italy in the 1990s: A Comparative Analysis of Four Different Explanations," Giornale degli Economisti, GDE (Giornale degli Economisti e Annali di Economia), Bocconi University, vol. 57(3-4), pages 297-324, December.
- Angelini, P. & Hendry, D.F. & Rinaldi, R., 1993. "An Econometric Analysis of Money Demand in Italy," Papers 219, Banca Italia - Servizio di Studi.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501.
- Bertocco Giancarlo, 1997. "Il governo della moneta e del credito in Italia. Un'analisi del meccanismo di trasmissione della politica monetaria nel periodo 1960-95," Politica economica, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 3, pages 309-344.
- Michael Ehrmann, 2000. "Comparing monetary policy transmission across European countries," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 136(1), pages 58-83, March.
- Gambacorta, Leonardo, 2005. "Inside the bank lending channel," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 49(7), pages 1737-1759, October.
- Leonardo Gambacorta & Paolo Emilio Mistrulli, 2003. "Bank Capital and Lending Behaviour: Empirical Evidence for Italy," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 486, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Riccardo Bonci & Francesco Columba, 2007. "The Effects Of Monetary Policy Shocks On Flow Of Funds:The Italian Case," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2006 75, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Luca Casolaro & Leonardo Gambacorta, 2005. "Un modello econometrico per il credito bancario alle famiglie in Italia," Moneta e Credito, Economia civile, vol. 58(229), pages 29-56.
- Riccardo Bonci & Francesco Columba, 2008.
"Monetary Policy Effects: New Evidence from the Italian Flow of Funds,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
678, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- R. Bonci & F. Columba, 2008. "Monetary policy effects: new evidence from the Italian flow-of-funds," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(21), pages 2803-2818.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.