Agricultural Cooperatives I: History, Theory and Problems
AbstractThis paper presents the principles of cooperation and briefly describes the history and development of agricultural cooperatives in developed and less-developed countries, with particular emphasis on South Africa. A new Cooperatives Act, based on international principles of cooperation, was promulgated in South Africa in August 2005. The theory of cooperatives, and new institutional economics theory (NIE) (including transaction cost economics, agency theory and property rights theory) and its applicability to the cooperative organizational form, are also presented, as are the inherent problems of conventional cooperatives, namely free-rider, horizon, portfolio, control and influence cost problems caused by vaguely defined property rights. An analysis of the future of cooperatives in general, based on a NIE approach, suggests a life cycle for cooperatives (formation, growth, reorganization or exit) as they adapt to a changing economic environment characterized by technological change, industrialization of agriculture and growing individualism.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA) in its journal Agrekon.
Volume (Year): 46 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Royer, Jeffrey S., 1994. "Economic Nature of the Cooperative Association: A Retrospective Appraisal," Journal of Agricultural Cooperation, National Council of Farmer Cooperatives, vol. 9.
- Staatz, John M., 1994. "A Comment on Phillips' "Economic Nature of the Cooperative Association"," Journal of Agricultural Cooperation, National Council of Farmer Cooperatives, vol. 9.
- Torgerson, Randall E. & Reynolds, Bruce J. & Gray, Thomas W., 1998. "Evolution of Cooperative Thought, Theory, and Purpose," Journal of Cooperatives, NCERA-210, vol. 13.
- Schrader, Lee F., 1989. "Equity Capital and Restructuring of Cooperatives as Investor-Oriented Firms," Journal of Agricultural Cooperation, National Council of Farmer Cooperatives, vol. 4.
- Sexton, Richard J. & Iskow, Julie, 1993. "What Do We Know About the Economic Efficiency of Cooperatives: An Evaluative Survey," Journal of Agricultural Cooperation, National Council of Farmer Cooperatives, vol. 8.
- Piesse, Jenifer & Doyer, Tobias & Thirtle, Colin & Vink, Nick, 2005. "The changing role of grain cooperatives in the transition to competitive markets in South Africa," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 197-218, March.
- Oliver Hart & Sanford Grossman, 1985.
"The Costs and Benefits of Ownership: A Theory of Vertical and Lateral Integration,"
372, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Grossman, Sanford J & Hart, Oliver D, 1986. "The Costs and Benefits of Ownership: A Theory of Vertical and Lateral Integration," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(4), pages 691-719, August.
- Grossman, Sanford J & Hart, Oliver, 1985. "The Cost and Benefits of Ownership: A Theory of Vertical and Lateral Integration," CEPR Discussion Papers 70, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Grossman, Sanford J. & Hart, Oliver D., 1986. "The Costs and Benefits of Ownership: A Theory of Vertical and Lateral Integration," Scholarly Articles 3450060, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Harris, Andrea & Stefanson, Brenda & Fulton, Murray E., 1996. "New Generation Cooperatives and Cooperative Theory," Journal of Cooperatives, NCERA-210, vol. 11.
- Cheung, Steven N S, 1969. "Transaction Costs, Risk Aversion, and the Choice of Contractual Arrangements," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 12(1), pages 23-42, April.
- Armen A. Alchian & Harold Demsetz, 1971.
"Production, Information Costs and Economic Organizations,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
10A, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Alchian, Armen A & Demsetz, Harold, 1972. "Production , Information Costs, and Economic Organization," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(5), pages 777-95, December.
- Sykuta, Michael E. & Chaddad, Fabio Ribas, 1999. "Putting Theories of the Firm in Their Place: A Supplemental Digest of the New Institutional Economics," Journal of Cooperatives, NCERA-210, vol. 14.
- Royer, Jeffrey S., 1999. "Cooperative Organizational Strategies: A Neo-Institutional Digest," Journal of Cooperatives, NCERA-210, vol. 14.
- Rhodes, V. James, 1995. "Cooperative Enterprise and Organization Theory: An Appraisal," Journal of Cooperatives, NCERA-210, vol. 10.
- Jacobson, Robert E., 1992. "Public Limited Companies and Cooperative Principles in Ireland's Dairy Sector," Journal of Agricultural Cooperation, National Council of Farmer Cooperatives, vol. 7.
- Jeffrey S. Royer, 1995. "Potential for cooperative involvement in vertical coordination and value-added activities," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(5), pages 473-481.
- Sexton, Richard J., 1995. "A Perspective on Helmberger and Hoos' Theory of Cooperatives," Journal of Cooperatives, NCERA-210, vol. 10.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1980. "Agency Problems and the Theory of the Firm," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(2), pages 288-307, April.
- Porter, Philip K & Scully, Gerald W, 1987. "Economic Efficiency in Cooperatives," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 30(2), pages 489-512, October.
- Fama, Eugene F & Jensen, Michael C, 1983. "Separation of Ownership and Control," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(2), pages 301-25, June.
- Iliopoulos, Constantine & Cook, Michael L., 1999. "The Internal Organization of the Cooperative Firm: An Extension of a New Institutional Digest," Journal of Cooperatives, NCERA-210, vol. 14.
- Fulton, Joan R. & Popp, Michael P. & Gray, Carolyn, 1996. "Strategic Alliance and Joint Venture Agreements in Grain Marketing Cooperatives," Journal of Cooperatives, NCERA-210, vol. 11.
- Maxime Agbo & Damien Rousselière & Julien Salanié, 2013.
"A Theory of Agricultural Marketing Cooperatives with Direct selling,"
- Maxime Agbo & Damien Rousselière & Julien Salanié, 2013. "A Theory of Agricultural Marketing Cooperatives with Direct Selling," Working Papers 1331, Groupe d'Analyse et de Théorie Economique (GATE), Centre national de la recherche scientifique (CNRS), Université Lyon 2, Ecole Normale Supérieure.
- Mabuza, Majola Lawrence & Ortmann, Gerald F. & Wale, Edilegnaw Zegeye, 2012. "Collective action in commercial mushroom production: the role of social capital in the management of informal farmer groups in Swaziland," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126764, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Ortmann, Gerald F. & King, Robert P., 2007. "Agricultural cooperatives II: Can they facilitate access of small-scale farmers in South Africa to input and product markets?," Agrekon, Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA), vol. 46(2), June.
- Liang, Q.X. & Hendrikse, G.W.J., 2012. "Cooperative CEO Identity and Efficient Governance: Member or Outside CEO?," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2012-019-ORG, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Chibanda, M. & Ortmann, Gerald F. & Lyne, Michael C., 2009. "Institutional and governance factors influencing the performance of selected smallholder agricultural cooperatives in KwaZulu-Natal," Agrekon, Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA), vol. 48(3), September.
- Ševarlić, Miladin M. & Nikolić, Marija M., 2013. "Agricultural Cooperatives – Examples Of Good Practise In The World And Serbia," 50th Anniversary Seminar, Agriculture and Rural Development: Challenges of Transition and Integration Processes, September 27, 2013 161799, University of Belgrade, Department of Agricultural Economics, Faculty of Agriculture.
- Mujawamariya, Gaudiose & D’Haese, Marijke & Speelman, Stijn, 2013. "Exploring double side-selling in cooperatives, case study of four coffee cooperatives in Rwanda," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(C), pages 72-83.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.