Principal-Agent Relationships in Agricultural Cooperatives: An Empirical Analysis from Rural Alberta
AbstractCooperatives throughout North America are consolidating at an increasing rate and for a variety of reasons. While many cooperatives merge with others or are acquired to achieve greater economies of scale, several fail due to changes in the external economy, which make them redundant. Often, such redundancy is reflected in a heightened sense of member dissatisfaction. Many argue that such dissatisfaction is likely to arise in cooperatives as a result of principal-agent problems. In order to determine whether or not cooperative managers maintain the same goals as their owners, this study uses data from a member-survey to compare Alberta cooperative members' objectives with those they believe to be held by their cooperatives' managers. An econometric model of the difference between members' expectations and perceptions shows how various socioeconomic variables affect the extent to which these objectives are aligned. The results of this analysis can help cooperative boards design managerial incentive programs to better align their goals with those of the cooperative membership.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by NCERA-210 in its journal Journal of Cooperatives.
Volume (Year): 13 (1998)
Issue (Month): ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 342 Waters Hall, Manhattan, Kansas 66506
Web page: http://www.agecon.ksu.edu/accc/ncera210/JournalofCooperatives.htm
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Marco Marini & Paolo Polidori & Alberto Zevi & Désirée Teobaldelli, 2013.
"Welfare Enhancing Coordination in Consumer Cooperatives under Mixed Oligopoly,"
1303, University of Urbino Carlo Bo, Department of Economics, Society & Politics - Scientific Committee - L. Stefanini & G. Travaglini, revised 2013.
- Marco Marini & Paolo Polidori & Desiree Teobaldelli & Alberto Zevi, 2014. "Welfare enhancing coordination in consumer cooperatives under mixed oligopoly," DIAG Technical Reports 2014-10, Department of Computer, Control and Management Engineering, Universita' degli Studi di Roma "La Sapienza".
- Zieseniss, Roland, 2012. "Anreizorientierte Entlohnung In Bezugsgenossenschaften: Eine Theoretische Analyse Einer Leistungsorientierten Entlohnung Zur Maximierung Des Monetären Mitgliedernutzens," 52nd Annual Conference, Stuttgart, Germany, September 26-28, 2012 137177, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Ortmann, Gerald F. & King, Robert P., 2006. "Small-Scale Farmers in South Africa: Can Agricultural Cooperatives Facilitate Access to Input and Product Markets?," Staff Papers 13930, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- Michael Kopel & Marco Marini, 2012.
"Optimal Compensation Structure In Consumer Cooperatives Under Mixed Oligopoly,"
0512, CREI Università degli Studi Roma Tre, revised 2012.
- Michael Kopel & Marco A. Marini, 2012. "Optimal Compensation Structure in Consumer Cooperatives under Mixed Oligopoly," DIS Technical Reports 2012-06, Department of Computer, Control and Management Engineering, Universita' degli Studi di Roma "La Sapienza".
- Peter Österberg & Jerker Nilsson, 2009. "Members' perception of their participation in the governance of cooperatives: the key to trust and commitment in agricultural cooperatives," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(2), pages 181-197.
- Michael Kopel & Marco Marini, 2013. "Strategic Delegation In Consumer Cooperatives Under Mixed Oligopoly," Working Papers 1306, University of Urbino Carlo Bo, Department of Economics, Society & Politics - Scientific Committee - L. Stefanini & G. Travaglini, revised 2013.
- Fulton, Murray E. & Gibbings, Julie, 2000. "Response And Adaption: Canadian Agricultural Co-Operatives In The 21st Century," Miscellaneous Publications 31768, University of Saskatchewan, Centre for the Study of Co-operatives.
- Zieseniss, Roland & Kuehl, Rainer, 2013. "Relative Performance Payment in Cooperatives – A Model-Theoretical Analysis," 2013 Conference (57th), February 5-8, 2013, Sydney, Australia 152162, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.