Members' perception of their participation in the governance of cooperatives: the key to trust and commitment in agricultural cooperatives
AbstractThis study explores the extent to which members' assessment of their cooperatives' degree of success is related to various member attributes, notably the members' perception of their participation in the governance of the cooperatives. Three categories of member attributes are identified: satisfaction with the profitability of farm operations, age of the member, and experience from board work. The cooperatives' degree of success is measured as members' commitment towards cooperatives, and members' trust in the board of directors. The data originate from a mail survey among 2,250 Swedish farmers. The results indicate differences in members' commitment and their trust towards directors to be due to farm profitability, the members' age and experience as directors. After adding members' perception of their participation in the governance as a covariate, most of the other differences are explained by this variable. Age is still partly associated with trust towards directors; older farmers have less trust. [EconLit Classifications: Q13, D23, D72]. © 2009 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Agribusiness.
Volume (Year): 25 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richards, Timothy J. & Klein, Kurt K. & Walburger, Allan M., 1998. "Principal-Agent Relationships in Agricultural Cooperatives: An Empirical Analysis from Rural Alberta," Journal of Cooperatives, NCERA-210, vol. 13.
- Fulton, Joan R. & Adamowicz, Wiktor L., 1993. "Factors That Influence the Commitment of Members to Their Cooperative Organization," Journal of Agricultural Cooperation, National Council of Farmer Cooperatives, vol. 8.
- Staatz, John M., 1989. "Farmer Cooperative Theory: Recent Developments," Research Reports 52017, United States Department of Agriculture, Rural Development Business and Cooperative Programs.
- Sanjib Bhuyan, 2007. "The "People" Factor in Cooperatives: An Analysis of Members' Attitudes and Behavior," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 55(3), pages 275-298, 09.
- Murray Fulton & Konstantinos Giannakas, 2001. "Organizational Commitment in a Mixed Oligopoly: Agricultural Cooperatives and Investor-Owned Firms," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1258-1265.
- Kostas Karantininis & Angelo Zago, 2001. "Endogenous Membership in Mixed Duopsonies," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1266-1272.
- Dunn, John R., 1988. "Basic Cooperative Principles and Their Relationship to Selected Practices," Journal of Agricultural Cooperation, National Council of Farmer Cooperatives, vol. 3.
- Wadsworth, James J., 1991. "An Analysis of Major Farm Characteristics and Farmers' Use of Cooperatives," Journal of Agricultural Cooperation, National Council of Farmer Cooperatives, vol. 6.
- Cain, Jarvis L. & Toensmeyer, Ulrich C. & Ramsey, Stewart, 1989. "Cooperative and Proprietary Firm Performance as Viewed by Their Customers," Journal of Agricultural Cooperation, National Council of Farmer Cooperatives, vol. 4.
- Sukant K. Misra & Dale H. Carley & Stanley M. Fletcher, 1993. "Dairy farmers' evaluation of dairy cooperatives," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(4), pages 351-361.
- Linda Robinson & Donald Lifton, 1993. "Convincing growers to fund cooperative marketing activities: Insights from the New York wine grape industry," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(1), pages 65-76.
- Hakelius, Karin, 1999. "Farmer Cooperatives in the 21st Century: Young and Old Farmers in Sweden," Journal of Rural Cooperation, Hebrew University, Center for Agricultural Economic Research, vol. 27(1).
- Zeuli, Kimberly A. & Bentancor, Andrea, 2005. "The Effects of Cooperative Competition on Member Loyalty," 2005 Annual Meeting, November 8-9 31823, NCERA-194 Research on Cooperatives.
- Arcas-Lario, Narciso & MartÃn-Ugedo, Juan Francisco & MÃnguez-Vera, Antonio, 2014. "Farmersâ€™ Satisfaction with Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Marketing Spanish Cooperatives: An Explanation from Agency Theory," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 17(1).
- Alexopoulos, Yiorgos & Goglio, Silvio, 2011. "Financial Cooperatives: Problems and Challenges in the Post-Crisis Era," Journal of Rural Cooperation, Hebrew University, Center for Agricultural Economic Research, vol. 39(1).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.