Farmer trust in producer- and investor-owned firms: Evidence from Missouri corn and soybean producers
AbstractThe authors examine whether cooperatives are characterized by greater trust than investor-owned firms. They surveyed 2,000 Missouri corn and soybean farmers and found that trust and farmer perceptions of honesty and competence are higher in cooperatives than in investor-owned firms and that trust is a significant factor explaining the choice of farmers to market to cooperatives rather than investor-owned firms. Interestingly, they found that trust is more significant in producers' decisions for marketing soybeans than for corn. [JEL classifications: Q130, Z130]. © 2006 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. Agribusiness 22: 135-153, 2006.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Agribusiness.
Volume (Year): 22 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q13 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Markets and Marketing; Cooperatives; Agribusiness
- Z13 - Other Special Topics - - Cultural Economics - - - Economic Sociology; Economic Anthropology; Social and Economic Stratification
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harvey S. James & Michael E. Sykuta, 2005. "Property Right and Organizational Characteristics of Producer-owned Firms and Organizational Trust," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 76(4), pages 545-580, December.
- Preet S Aulakh & Masaaki Kotabe & Arvind Sahay, 1996. "Trust and Performance in Cross-Border Marketing Partnerships: A Behavioral Approach," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 27(5), pages 1005-1032, December.
- Shapira, Reuven, 1999. "Loss of Communal Sustainability: The Kibbutz Shift from High-Trust to Low-Trust Culture," Journal of Rural Cooperation, Hebrew University, Center for Agricultural Economic Research, vol. 27(1).
- Preet S Aulakh & Masaaki Kotabe & Arvind Sahay, 1996. "Trust and Performance in Cross-Border Marketing Partnerships: A Behavioral Approach," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 27(4), pages 1005-1032, December.
- Michael E. Sykuta & Michael L. Cook, 2001. "A New Institutional Economics Approach to Contracts and Cooperatives," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1273-1279.
- Harvey James, 2002. "On the Reliability of Trusting," Microeconomics 0202002, EconWPA.
- Murray Fulton & Konstantinos Giannakas, 2001. "Organizational Commitment in a Mixed Oligopoly: Agricultural Cooperatives and Investor-Owned Firms," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1258-1265.
- Schulze, Birgit & Spiller, Achim, 2006. "Determinants of Trust between Buyers and Suppliers in Agribusiness: Empirical Evidence from the German Pork Sector," 99th Seminar, February 8-10, 2006, Bonn, Germany 7719, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Paulson, Nicholas D. & Katchova, Ani L. & Lence, Sergio H., 2008. "Empirical Analysis of the Determinants of Marketing Contract Structures," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6080, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Granoszewski, Karol & Spiller, Achim, 2013. "Langfristige Rohstoffsicherung in der Supply Chain Biogas: Status Quo und Potenziale vertraglicher Zusammenarbeit," DARE Discussion Papers 1303, Georg-August University of Göttingen, Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development (DARE).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.