Property Right and Organizational Characteristics of Producer-owned Firms and Organizational Trust
AbstractWe examine how organizational characteristics of producer-owned firms are correlated with the level of perceived trust among cooperative members, using survey data from a sample of U.S. agricultural cooperatives. Our results indicate trust is correlated with property right and organizational structures previously identified in the literature as significant for cooperative performance. We find that the norm of equality and the homogeneity of member interests are key correlates of organizational trust in producer-owned firms. We also find that some property right structures that improve organizational trust are counterproductive for member investment incentives. Copyright CIRIEC, 2005.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Annals of Public & Cooperative Economics.
Volume (Year): 76 (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1370-4788
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Arcas-Lario, Narciso & MartÃn-Ugedo, Juan Francisco & MÃnguez-Vera, Antonio, 2014. "Farmersâ€™ Satisfaction with Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Marketing Spanish Cooperatives: An Explanation from Agency Theory," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 17(1).
- Bachev, Hrabrin, 2012. "Framework for assessing efficiency of farms and agrarian organizations," MPRA Paper 40136, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hrabrin Bashev, 2012. "Efficiency of Farms and Agrarian Organizations (Bulgarian)," Economic Thought journal, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences - Economic Research Institute, issue 4, pages 46-77.
- Hrabrin Bashev, 2012. "Efficiency of Farms and Agrarian Organizations (English)," Economic Thought journal, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences - Economic Research Institute, issue 4, pages 78-104.
- Barraud-Didier, ValÃ©rie & Henninger, Marie-Christine & El Akremi, AssÃ¢ad, 2012. "The Relationship Between Membersâ€™ Trust and Participation in the Governance of Cooperatives: The Role of Organizational Commitment," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 15(1).
- Elliott, Matthew & James Jr., Harvey, 2013. "Nature Of The Farm: Revisited," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150726, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Hanf, Jon Henrich & Pieniadz, Agata, 2007. "Chain Quality Management In Co-Operatives," 47th Annual Conference, Weihenstephan, Germany, September 26-28, 2007 7604, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Harvey S. James Jr. & Michael E. Sykuta, 2006. "Farmer trust in producer- and investor-owned firms: Evidence from Missouri corn and soybean producers," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(1), pages 135-153.
- Х. Бачев, 2013. "Новые Институционально-Экономические Структуры, Используемые Для Оценки И Улучшения Сельскохозяйственных �," Вестник Киевского национального университета имени Тараса Шевченко. Экономика., Socionet & Киевский национальный университет имени Тараса Шевченко, vol. 9(150), pages 5-17.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.