Accuracy of premium calculation models for CAT bonds: An empirical analysis
CAT bonds are of significant importance in the field of alternative risk transfer. Since the market of CAT bonds is not complete, the application of an appropriate pricing model is of high relevance. We apply different premium calculation models in order to compare them with regard to their predictive power. Without taking the financial crisis into account, a version of the Wang transformation model and the linear model are the most accurate ones. In contrast, under consideration of the financial crisis, all analyzed models are approximately equivalent. Furthermore, we find that CAT bond specific information does not improve out-of-sample results.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Pockelsstr. 14, D-38106 Braunschweig|
Web page: http://www.fiwi.tu-bs.de/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kenneth A. Froot, 2001.
"The Market for Catastrophe Risk: A Clinical Examination,"
NBER Working Papers
8110, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Froot, Kenneth A., 2001. "The market for catastrophe risk: a clinical examination," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2-3), pages 529-571, May.
- Kenneth A. Froot, 1999. "The Market for Catastrophe Risk: A Clinical Examination," NBER Working Papers 7286, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- J. David Cummins & Mary A. Weiss, 2009. "Convergence of Insurance and Financial Markets: Hybrid and Securitized Risk-Transfer Solutions," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 76(3), pages 493-545.
- Furman, Edward & Zitikis, Ricardas, 2008. "Weighted premium calculation principles," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 459-465, February.
- Lane, Morton N., 2000. "Pricing Risk Transfer Transactions," ASTIN Bulletin: The Journal of the International Actuarial Association, Cambridge University Press, vol. 30(02), pages 259-293, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:tbsifw:if29v4. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.