Semiparametric estimation in single index poisson regression: A practical approach
In a single index Poisson regression model with unknown link function, the index parameter can be root-n consistently estimated by the method of pseudo maximumum likelihood. In this paper, we study, by simulation arguments, the practical validity of the asymptotic behavior of the pseudo maximum likelihood index estimator and of some associated cross-validation bandwidths. A robust practical rule for implementing the pseudo maximum likelihood estimation method is suggested, which uses the bootstrap for estimating the variance of the index estimator and a variant of bagging for numerically stabilizing its variance. Our method gives reasonable results even for moderate sized samples thus it can be used for doing statistical inference in practical situtations. The procedure is illustrated through a real data example.
|Date of creation:||2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Spandauer Str. 1,10178 Berlin|
Web page: http://www.wiwi.hu-berlin.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Newey, Whitney K, 1990. "Semiparametric Efficiency Bounds," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(2), pages 99-135, April-Jun.
- Ichimura, H., 1991. "Semiparametric Least Squares (sls) and Weighted SLS Estimation of Single- Index Models," Papers 264, Minnesota - Center for Economic Research.
- Hardle, W. & Hall, P. & Ichimura, H., 1991. "Optimal smoothing in single index models," CORE Discussion Papers 1991007, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Haerdle,Wolfgang & Stoker,Thomas, 1987. "Investigations smooth multiple regression by the method of average derivatives," Discussion Paper Serie A 107, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Hardle, W. & Marron, J. S., 1995.
"Fast and simple scatterplot smoothing,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 1-17, July.
- James Stephen MARRON & Wolfgang HAERDLE, . "Fast and simple scatterplot smoothing," Statistic und Oekonometrie 9308, Humboldt Universitaet Berlin.
- Hardle, W. & Marron, A., 1991. "Fast and simple scatterplot smoothing," CORE Discussion Papers 1991043, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Wolfgang HÄRDLE & James S. MARRON, 1994. "Fast and Simple Scatterplot Smoothing," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1994,8, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Michel Delecroix & Marian Hristache & Valentin Patilea, 1999. "Optimal Smoothing in Semiparametric Index Approximation of Regression Functions," Working Papers 99-52, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- repec:crs:wpaper:9952 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sherman, Robert P., 1994. "U-Processes in the Analysis of a Generalized Semiparametric Regression Estimator," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(02), pages 372-395, June.
- Powell, James L & Stock, James H & Stoker, Thomas M, 1989. "Semiparametric Estimation of Index Coefficients," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(6), pages 1403-30, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:sfb373:200151. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.