What a difference peers can make: The impact of social (work) norms on unemployment duration
This article outlines a model of how social interactions among persons belonging to the same region might influence the individual unemployment duration. The impact is assumed to be enhanced through social work norms shared by peers within the group. Building on a range of German data sets and derived from multilevel analysis, the results show that social interactions in terms of social work norms, in conjunction with socio-demographic and regional characteristics, affect the individual unemployment duration.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 (0)40 34 05 76 - 0
Fax: +49 (0)40 34 05 76 - 776
Web page: http://www.hwwi.org/en/Email:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charles F. Manski, 2000.
"Economic Analysis of Social Interactions,"
NBER Working Papers
7580, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alois Stutzer & Rafael Lalive, 2004.
"The Role of Social Work Norms in Job Searching and Subjective Well-Being,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 2(4), pages 696-719, 06.
- Stutzer, Alois & Lalive, Rafael, 2001. "The Role of Social Work Norms in Job Searching and Subjective Well-Being," IZA Discussion Papers 300, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Alois Stutzer & Rafael Lalive, . "The Role of Social Work Norms in Job Searching and Subjective Well-Being," IEW - Working Papers 051, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Laurence R. Iannaccone, 1998. "Corrigenda [Introduction to the Economics of Religion]," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 36(4), pages 1941-1941, December.
- Lindbeck, Assar & Nyberg, Sten & Weibull, Jörgen W., 1997.
"Social Norms and Economic Incentives in the Welfare State,"
Working Paper Series
476, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Assar Lindbeck & Sten Nyberg & Jšrgen W. Weibull, 1999. "Social Norms And Economic Incentives In The Welfare State," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 114(1), pages 1-35, February.
- Laurence R. Iannaccone, 1998. "Introduction to the Economics of Religion," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 36(3), pages 1465-1495, September.
- Hedström, Peter & Kolm, Ann-Sofie & Åberg, Yvonne, 2003.
"Social Interactions and Unemployment,"
Working Paper Series
2003:18, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Andrew E. Clark, 2006. "A note on unhappiness and unemployment duration," PSE Working Papers halshs-00590444, HAL.
- Clark, Andrew E & Oswald, Andrew J, 1994. "Unhappiness and Unemployment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(424), pages 648-59, May.
- repec:pse:psecon:2008-45 is not listed on IDEAS
- Andrew E. Clark & Andreas Knabe & Steffen Rätzel, 2008.
"Unemployment as a Social Norm in Germany,"
SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research
132, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Andrew Clark & Andreas Knabe & Steffen Rätzel, 2009. "Unemployment as a Social Norm in Germany," Schmollers Jahrbuch : Journal of Applied Social Science Studies / Zeitschrift für Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaften, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 129(2), pages 251-260.
- Andrew E. Clark & Andreas Knabe & Steffen Rätzel, 2008. "Unemployment as a social norm in Germany," PSE Working Papers halshs-00586249, HAL.
- Fitzenberger, Bernd & Wilke, Ralf A., 2004.
"Unemployment Durations in West-Germany Before and After the Reform of the Unemployment Compensation System During the 1980s,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
04-24, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Bernd Fitzenberger & Ralf A. Wilke, 2010. "Unemployment Durations in West Germany Before and After the Reform of the Unemployment Compensation System during the 1980s," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 11, pages 336-366, 08.
- Ruffle Bradley J. & Sosis Richard, 2007.
"Does It Pay To Pray? Costly Ritual and Cooperation,"
The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy,
De Gruyter, vol. 7(1), pages 1-37, March.
- Bradley Ruffle & Richard Sosis, 2007. "Does it pay to pray? Costly ritual and cooperation," Artefactual Field Experiments 00014, The Field Experiments Website.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:hwwirp:1-24. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.