Going public - going private: The case of VC-backed firms
We investigate the decisions of listed firms to go private once again. We start by revealing that while a significant number of firms which go public is VC-backed, an overproportional share of these VC-backed firms go private later on (they stay on the exchange for an average of 8.5 years). We interpret this very robust pattern such that IPOs of VC-backed firms are to a large extent a temporary rather than a permanent feature of the corporate governance of these firms. We investigate various potential hypotheses why VCs actually seem to be able to bring marginal firms to the exchange by relating the going-private decisions to various characteristics of the IPO market as well as to VC characteristics. We find strong support for the certification ability of VCs: more experienced and reputable VCs are more able to bring marginal firms to public exchanges via an IPOs. These marginal firms backed-by more reputable and experienced VCs are more likely to go private later on. Hence, our analysis suggests that IPOs backed by experienced VCs are most likely to be a temporary rather than the final stage in the life of the portfolio firm. We find no support that reputable VCs underprice their IPO-exits more implying that they have no need to leave more money on the table to take the marginal firms public.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 (0)69 798-30050
Fax: +49 (0)69 798-30077
Web page: http://www.ifk-cfs.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Black, Bernard S. & Gilson, Ronald J., 1998. "Venture capital and the structure of capital markets: banks versus stock markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 243-277, March.
- Aghion, Philippe & Bolton, P. & Tirole, J., 2004.
"Exit Options in Corporate Finance: Liquidity versus Incentives,"
12500289, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Philippe Aghion & Patrick Bolton & Jean Tirole, 2004. "Exit Options in Corporate Finance: Liquidity versus Incentives," Review of Finance, Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 327-353.
- Gompers, Paul A., 1996. "Grandstanding in the venture capital industry," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 133-156, September.
- Hamid Mehran & Stavros Peristiani, 2009.
"Financial visibility and the decision to go private,"
376, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Hamid Mehran & Stavros Peristiani, 2010. "Financial Visibility and the Decision to Go Private," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 23(2), pages 519-547, February.
- John H. Cochrane, 2001.
"The Risk and Return of Venture Capital,"
NBER Working Papers
8066, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cochrane, John, 2000. "The Risk and Return of Venture Capital," University of California at Los Angeles, Anderson Graduate School of Management qt7qm9h594, Anderson Graduate School of Management, UCLA.
- Cumming, Douglas & Johan, Sofia Atiqah binti, 2008. "Preplanned exit strategies in venture capital," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 52(7), pages 1209-1241, October.
- Mark Grinblatt & Chuan Yang Hwang, .
"Signalling and the Pricing of Unseasoned New Issues,"
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
1-89, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Mark Grinblatt & Chuan Yang Hwang, . "Signalling and the Pricing of Unseasoned New Issues," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 01-89, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Grinblatt, Mark & Hwang, Chuan Yang, 1989. " Signalling and the Pricing of New Issues," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(2), pages 393-420, June.
- Zingales, Luigi, 1995. "Insider Ownership and the Decision to Go Public," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(3), pages 425-48, July.
- Douglas Cumming, 2008. "Contracts and Exits in Venture Capital Finance," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 21(5), pages 1947-1982, September.
- Giot, Pierre & Schwienbacher, Armin, 2007.
"IPOs, trade sales and liquidations: Modelling venture capital exits using survival analysis,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 679-702, March.
- GIOT, Pierre & SCHWIENBACHER, Armin, 2005. "IPOs, trade sales and liquidations: modelling venture capital exits using survival analysis," CORE Discussion Papers 2005013, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Pierre Giot & Armin Schwienbacher, 2003. "IPOs, Trade Sales and Liquidations: Modelling Venture Capital Exits Using Survival Analysis," Finance 0312006, EconWPA.
- Jeng, Leslie A. & Wells, Philippe C., 2000. "The determinants of venture capital funding: evidence across countries," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 241-289, September.
- Thomas J. Chemmanur & Shan He & Debarshi K. Nandy, 2010.
"The Going-Public Decision and the Product Market,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 23(5), pages 1855-1908.
- Ritter, Jay R, 1984. "The "Hot Issue" Market of 1980," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 57(2), pages 215-40, April.
- Nahata, Rajarishi, 2008. "Venture capital reputation and investment performance," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(2), pages 127-151, November.
- Barry, Christopher B. & Muscarella, Chris J. & Peavy, John III & Vetsuypens, Michael R., 1990. "The role of venture capital in the creation of public companies*1: Evidence from the going-public process," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 447-471, October.
- Lin, Timothy H. & Smith, Richard L., 1998. "Insider reputation and selling decisions: the unwinding of venture capital investments during equity IPOs," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 241-263, September.
- Lerner, Joshua, 1994. "Venture capitalists and the decision to go public," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 293-316, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:cfswop:201202. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.