The impact of thin capitalization rules on shareholder financing
From a tax planner's point of view, it is often attractive to choose debt over equity financing. As this has led to an increase of debt financing of corporations, many countries have introduced thin capitalization rules to secure their tax revenues. We analyze the influence of section 8a of the German Corporate Tax Code on corporate capital structure decisions. Furthermore, the impact of the new interest barrier is taken into consideration. The existence of the Miller equilibrium as well as definite financing effects depend significantly on the fraction of long-term debt, of substantial shareholders and when capital gains are realized.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.arqus.info/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael Overesch & Georg Wamser, 2006.
"German Inbound Investment, Corporate Tax Planning, and Thin-Capitalization Rules - A Difference-in-Differences Approach,"
Ifo Working Paper Series
Ifo Working Papers No. 37, Ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich.
- Overesch, Michael & Wamser, Georg, 2006. "German inbound investment, corporate tax planning, and thin-capitalization rules: a difference-in-differences approach," ZEW Discussion Papers 06-75, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Kiesewetter, Dirk & Lachmund, Andreas, 2004.
"Wirkungen einer Abgeltungssteuer auf Investitionsentscheidungen und Kapitalstruktur von Unternehmen
[Effects of a flat rate tax on investment decisions and capital structure of companies]," MPRA Paper 27177, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lachmund, Andreas & Kiesewetter, Dirk, 2004. "Wirkungen einer Abgeltungssteuer auf Investitionsentscheidungen und Kapitalstruktur von Unternehmen," Tübinger Diskussionsbeiträge 278, University of Tübingen, School of Business and Economics.
- Schreiber, Ulrich & Overesch, Michael & Büttner, Thiess & Wamser, Georg, 2006.
"The Impact of Thin-Capitalization Rules on Multinationals? Financing and Investment Decisions,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
06-68, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Büttner, Thiess & Overesch, Michael & Schreiber, Ulrich & Wamser, Georg, 2008. "The impact of thin-capitalization rules on multinationals' financing and investment decisions," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2008,03, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Thiess Buettner & Michael Overesch & Ulrich Schreiber & Georg Wamser, 2006. "The Impact of Thin-Capitalization Rules on Multinationals' Financing and Investment Decisions," Working Papers 2006-06, University of Kentucky, Institute for Federalism and Intergovernmental Relations.
- Thiess Büttner & Michael Overesch & Ulrich Schreiber & Georg Wamser, 2006. "The Impact of Thin-Capitalization Rules on Multinationals’ Financing and Investment Decisions," CESifo Working Paper Series 1817, CESifo Group Munich.
- DeAngelo, Harry & Masulis, Ronald W, 1980. " Leverage and Dividend Irrelevancy under Corporate and Personal Taxation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 35(2), pages 453-64, May.
- Zechner, Josef, 1990. "Tax Clienteles and Optimal Capital Structure under Uncertainty," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 63(4), pages 465-91, October.
- DeAngelo, Harry & Masulis, Ronald W., 1980. "Optimal capital structure under corporate and personal taxation," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 3-29, March.
- Fischer, Edwin O & Heinkel, Robert & Zechner, Josef, 1989. " Dynamic Capital Structure Choice: Theory and Tests," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(1), pages 19-40, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:arqudp:39. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.