Eclectic Distributional Ethics
Utilitarians, egalitarians, prioritarians, and sufficientarians each provide examples of situations demonstrating, often compellingly, that a sensible ethical observer must adopt their view and reject the others. We argue, to the contrary, that an attractive ethic is eclectic, in the sense of coinciding with these apparently different views in different regions of the space of social states.
Other versions of this item:
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- Michele Lombardi & Roberto Veneziani, 2009.
"Liberal Egalitarianism and the Harm Principle,"
Global COE Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series
gd09-078, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Michele Lombardi & Roberto Veneziani, 2009. "Liberal Egalitarianism and the Harm Principle," Working Papers 649, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Michele Lombardi & Kahame Miyagishima & Roberto Veneziani, 2013. "Liberal Egalitarianism and the Harm Principle," UMASS Amherst Economics Working Papers 2013-07, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Department of Economics.
- Lombardi, Michele & Miyagishima, Kaname & Veneziani, Roberto, 2013. "Liberal Egalitarianism and the Harm Principle," MPRA Paper 48458, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Andrés Cendales & Jhon James Mora, 2015. "Precarious democracies, political negotiation and selective predation," Estudios Económicos, El Colegio de México, Centro de Estudios Económicos, vol. 30(2), pages 305-339.
- Andrés Cendales & Jhon James Mora, 2014. "Precarious Democracies, Political Negotiation and Selective Predation," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO UCATOLICA 012422, UNIVERSIDAD CATOLICA DE COLOMBIA.
- Andrés Cendales & Jhon James Mora, 2015. "Sobornos o representación democrática: ¿qué promueven los concejos municipales en una democracia precaria en el nivel local?," REVISTA CUADERNOS DE ECONOMÍA, UN - RCE - CID, March.
- Andrés Cendales & Jhon James Mora, 2014. "Sobornos o Representación Democrática: ¿Qué promueven los concejos municipales en una democracia precaria en el nivel local?," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO UCATOLICA 012412, UNIVERSIDAD CATOLICA DE COLOMBIA.
- Alvarez-Cuadrado, Francisco & Van Long, Ngo, 2009. "A mixed Bentham-Rawls criterion for intergenerational equity: Theory and implications," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 154-168, September.
- Francisco Alvarez-Cuadrado & Ngo Van Long, 2007. "A Mixed Bentham-Rawls Criterion For Intergenerational Equity: Theory And Implications," Departmental Working Papers 2007-03, McGill University, Department of Economics.
- ALVAREZ-CUADRADO, Francisco & LONG, Ngo Van, 2007. "A Mixed Bentham-Rawls Criterion for Intergenerational Equity : Theory and Implications," Cahiers de recherche 06-2007, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Moreno-Terneroy , Juan D & Østerdal, Lars Peter, 2015. "The implications of equal value of life and prioritarianism for the evaluation of population health," COHERE Working Paper 2015:1, COHERE - Centre of Health Economics Research, University of Southern Denmark.
- Steven N. Durlauf, 2006. "Assessing Racial Profiling," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 116(515), pages 402-426, November.
- Durlauf,S.N., 2005. "Assessing racial profiling," Working papers 2, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Graafland, J.J., 2010. "Why Status Effects Need not Justify Egalitarian Income Policy," Discussion Paper 2010-73, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Juan Moreno-Ternero & John E. Roemer, 2004. "Impartiality and Priority. Part 1: The Veil of Ignorance," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1477A, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised May 2005.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ysm:somwrk:ysm348. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
Follow series, journals, authors & more
New papers by email
Subscribe to new additions to RePEc
Public profiles for Economics researchers
Various rankings of research in Economics & related fields
Who was a student of whom, using RePEc
Curated articles & papers on various economics topics
Upload your paper to be listed on RePEc and IDEAS
Blog aggregator for economics research
Cases of plagiarism in Economics
Job Market Papers
RePEc working paper series dedicated to the job market
Pretend you are at the helm of an economics department
Services from the StL Fed
Data, research, apps & more from the St. Louis Fed