Not the First Digit! Using Benfordâ€™s Law to Detect Fraudulent Scientific Data
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Schraepler, Joerg-Peter & Wagner, Gert G., 2003.
"Identification, Characteristics and Impact of Faked Interviews in Surveys: An Analysis by Means of Genuine Fakes in the Raw Data of SOEP,"
IZA Discussion Papers
969, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- Joerg-Peter Schraepler & Gert G. Wagner, 2003. "Identification, Characteristics and Impact of Faked Interviews in Surveys: An Analysis by Means of Genuine Fakes in the Raw Data of SOEP," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 392, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- Statistical Sleuthing on the Iran Election
by (author unknown) in The Numbers Guy on 2009-07-01 05:46:58
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bauer Johannes & Groß Jochen, 2011. "Difficulties Detecting Fraud? The Use of Benford’s Law on Regression Tables," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), De Gruyter, vol. 231(5-6), pages 733-748, October.
- Shikano Susumu & Mack Verena, 2011. "When Does the Second-Digit Benford’s Law-Test Signal an Election Fraud?: Facts or Misleading Test Results," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), De Gruyter, vol. 231(5-6), pages 719-732, October.
- Schräpler Jörg-Peter, 2011.
"Benford’s Law as an Instrument for Fraud Detection in Surveys Using the Data of the Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP),"
Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik),
De Gruyter, vol. 231(5-6), pages 685-718, October.
- Jörg-Peter Schräpler, 2010. "Benford's Law As an Instrument for Fraud Detection in Surveys Using the Data of the Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP)," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 273, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Jesus R Gonzalez-Garcia & Gonzalo C Pastor Campos, 2009. "Benford’s Law and Macroeconomic Data Quality," IMF Working Papers 09/10, International Monetary Fund.
- Brähler, Gernot & Bensmann, Markus & Emke, Anna-Lena, 2010. "Der Einsatz mathematisch-statistischer Methoden in der digitalen Betriebsprüfung," Ilmenauer Schriften zur Betriebswirtschaftslehre, Technische Universität Ilmenau, Institut für Betriebswirtschaftslehre, volume 4, number 42010.
- Kundt, Thorben, 2014. "Applying “Benford’s law” to the Crosswise Model: Findings from an online survey on tax evasion," Working Paper 148/2014, Helmut Schmidt University, Hamburg.
More about this item
KeywordsBenford; Benford's law; falsification of data; fabrication of data;
- C - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpot:0507001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA). General contact details of provider: https://econwpa.ub.uni-muenchen.de .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.