Not the First Digit! Using Benford’s Law to Detect Fraudulent Scientific Data
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Andreas Diekmann, 2007. "Not the First Digit! Using Benford's Law to Detect Fraudulent Scientif ic Data," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(3), pages 321-329.
References listed on IDEAS
- Schraepler, Joerg-Peter & Wagner, Gert G., 2003.
"Identification, Characteristics and Impact of Faked Interviews in Surveys: An Analysis by Means of Genuine Fakes in the Raw Data of SOEP,"
IZA Discussion Papers
969, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Joerg-Peter Schraepler & Gert G. Wagner, 2003. "Identification, Characteristics and Impact of Faked Interviews in Surveys: An Analysis by Means of Genuine Fakes in the Raw Data of SOEP," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 392, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- Statistical Sleuthing on the Iran Election
by (author unknown) in The Numbers Guy on 2009-07-01 05:46:58
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bauer Johannes & Groß Jochen, 2011. "Difficulties Detecting Fraud? The Use of Benford’s Law on Regression Tables," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), De Gruyter, vol. 231(5-6), pages 733-748, October.
- Bernhard Rauch & Max Göttsche & Gernot Brähler & Stefan Engel, 2011. "Fact and Fiction in EU‐Governmental Economic Data," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 12(3), pages 243-255, August.
- Rabeea SADAF, 2016. "Benford’S Law In The Case Of Hungarian Whole-Sale Trade Sector," SEA - Practical Application of Science, Fundația Română pentru Inteligența Afacerii, Editorial Department, issue 12, pages 561-566, December.
- Bruno S. Frey, 2010. "Withering Academia," CREMA Working Paper Series 2010-19, Center for Research in Economics, Management and the Arts (CREMA).
- Shikano Susumu & Mack Verena, 2011. "When Does the Second-Digit Benford’s Law-Test Signal an Election Fraud?: Facts or Misleading Test Results," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), De Gruyter, vol. 231(5-6), pages 719-732, October.
- Schräpler Jörg-Peter, 2011.
"Benford’s Law as an Instrument for Fraud Detection in Surveys Using the Data of the Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP),"
Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik),
De Gruyter, vol. 231(5-6), pages 685-718, October.
- Jörg-Peter Schräpler, 2010. "Benford's Law As an Instrument for Fraud Detection in Surveys Using the Data of the Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP)," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 273, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Holz, Carsten A., 2014. "The quality of China's GDP statistics," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 30(C), pages 309-338.
- Andreas Diekmann & Ben Jann, 2010.
"Benford's Law and Fraud Detection: Facts and Legends,"
German Economic Review,
Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 11, pages 397-401, August.
- Andreas Diekmann & Ben Jann, 2010. "Benford's Law and Fraud Detection. Facts and Legends," ETH Zurich Sociology Working Papers 8, ETH Zurich, Chair of Sociology.
- Jesus R Gonzalez-Garcia & Gonzalo C Pastor Campos, 2009. "Benford’s Law and Macroeconomic Data Quality," IMF Working Papers 09/10, International Monetary Fund.
- Chase Thiel & Zhanna Bagdasarov & Lauren Harkrider & James Johnson & Michael Mumford, 2012. "Leader Ethical Decision-Making in Organizations: Strategies for Sensemaking," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 107(1), pages 49-64, April.
- Lin, Fengyi & Wu, Sheng-Fu, 2014. "Comparison of cosmetic earnings management for the developed markets and emerging markets: Some empirical evidence from the United States and Taiwan," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 466-473.
- Dlugosz, Stephan & Müller-Funk, Ulrich, 2012. "Ziffernanalyse zur Betrugserkennung in Finanzverwaltungen: Prüfung von Kassenbelegen," Arbeitsberichte des Instituts für Wirtschaftsinformatik 133, University of Münster, Department of Information Systems.
- Montag, Josef, 2015. "Identifying Odometer Fraud: Evidence from the Used Car Market in the Czech Republic," MPRA Paper 65182, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Brähler, Gernot & Bensmann, Markus & Emke, Anna-Lena, 2010. "Der Einsatz mathematisch-statistischer Methoden in der digitalen Betriebsprüfung," Ilmenauer Schriften zur Betriebswirtschaftslehre, Technische Universität Ilmenau, Institut für Betriebswirtschaftslehre, volume 4, number 42010.
- Kundt, Thorben, 2014. "Applying “Benford’s law” to the Crosswise Model: Findings from an online survey on tax evasion," Working Paper 148/2014, Helmut Schmidt University, Hamburg.
- Karl-Heinz Tödter, 2009. "Benford's Law as an Indicator of Fraud in Economics," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 10, pages 339-351, August.
- repec:eee:trapol:v:60:y:2017:i:c:p:10-23 is not listed on IDEAS
- José A. Álvarez-Jareño & Elena Badal-Valero & José Manuel Pavía, 2017. "Using machine learning for financial fraud detection in the accounts of companies investigated for money laundering," Working Papers 2017/07, Economics Department, Universitat Jaume I, Castellón (Spain).
More about this item
KeywordsBenford; Benford's law; falsification of data; fabrication of data;
- C - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-07-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-HPE-2005-07-11 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
- NEP-REG-2005-07-11 (Regulation)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpot:0507001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA). General contact details of provider: http://econwpa.repec.org .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.