The Rhetoric of Policy Relevance in International Economics
There is a widespread belief that economic policy prescriptions, especially in international economics, are of grave importance for individual and national well being. Milberg contends, however, that there is little thought given to how such prescriptions follow from the theoretical models used to generate these conclusions. In fact, different models appear to be used: A formal theoretical model and a less formal one to reach policy conclusions. In this working paper, Milberg seeks to find out why this dichotomy occurred by analyzing the rhetoric contained in casual models, that is, those used to arrive at policy conclusions. He asserts that this rhetoric was not an accidental methodological discrepancy, but a necessary strategy for reaching policy conclusions.
|Date of creation:||15 Apr 1999|
|Note:||Type of Document - Acrobat PDF; prepared on IBM PC; to print on PostScript; pages: 38; figures: included|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://econwpa.repec.org|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1980. "Methods and Problems in Business Cycle Theory," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 12(4), pages 696-715, November.
- Matsuyama, Kiminori, 1990.
"Perfect Equilibria in a Trade Liberalization Game,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 80(3), pages 480-92, June.
- Robert E. Baldwin, 1991.
"Are Economists' Traditional Trade Policy Views Still Valid?,"
NBER Working Papers
3793, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baldwin, Robert E, 1992. "Are Economists' Traditional Trade Policy Views Still Valid?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 30(2), pages 804-29, June.
- Lapan, Harvey E, 1988.
"The Optimal Tariff, Production Lags, and Time Consistency,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 78(3), pages 395-401, June.
- Lapan, Harvey E., 1988. "The Optimal Tariff, Production Lags and Time Consistency," Staff General Research Papers Archive 10816, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Cheng, Leonard K, 1988. "Assisting Domestic Industries under International Oligopoly: The Relevance of the Nature of Competition to Optimal Policies," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(4), pages 746-58, September.
- Kyle Bagwell & Robert W. Staiger, 1989.
"A Theory of Managed Trade,"
801, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Staiger, Robert W & Deardorff, Alan V & Stern, Robert M, 1988. "The Effects of Protection on the Factor Content of Japanese and American Foreign Trade," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(3), pages 475-83, August.
- Markusen, James R & Wigle, Randall M, 1989. "Nash Equilibrium Tariffs for the United States and Canada: The Roles of Country Size, Scale Economies, and Capital Mobility," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(2), pages 368-386, April.
- Grossman, G.M. & Helpman, E., 1988.
"Comparative Advantage And Long-Run Growth,"
39-88, Tel Aviv.
- Steven Caudill, 1990. "Econometrics in Theory and Practice," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 16(3), pages 249-256, Jul-Sep.
- Dewald, William G & Thursby, Jerry G & Anderson, Richard G, 1986. "Replication in Empirical Economics: The Journal of Money, Credit and Banking Project," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(4), pages 587-603, September.
- McCloskey, Donald N, 1983. "The Rhetoric of Economics," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 21(2), pages 481-517, June.
- Panagariya, Arvind, 1992. "Input tariffs, duty drawbacks, and tariff reforms," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1-2), pages 131-147, February.
- Gruenspecht, Howard K., 1988. "Dumping and dynamic competition," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3-4), pages 225-248, November.
- Mäki, Uskali, 1988. "How to Combine Rhetoric and Realism in the Methodology of Economics," Economics and Philosophy, Cambridge University Press, vol. 4(01), pages 89-109, April.
- Clemenz, Gerhard, 1990. "International R&D competition and trade policy," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1-2), pages 93-113, February.
- Summers, Lawrence H, 1991. " The Scientific Illusion in Empirical Macroeconomics," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 93(2), pages 129-48.
- Leamer, Edward E, 1983.
"Let's Take the Con Out of Econometrics,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 73(1), pages 31-43, March.
- Audretsch, David B & Yamawaki, Hideki, 1988. "R&D Rivalry, Industrial Policy, and U.S.-Japanese Trade," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(3), pages 438-47, August.
- Noland, Marcus, 1989. "Japanese Trade Elasticities and the J-Curve," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(1), pages 175-79, February.
- Gardner, Grant W. & Kimbrough, Kent P., 1989. "Tariffs, interest rates, and the trade balance in the world economy," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1-2), pages 91-110, August.
- Corden, W.M., 1984. "The normative theory of international trade," Handbook of International Economics, in: R. W. Jones & P. B. Kenen (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 2, pages 63-130 Elsevier.
- Morgan, Theodore, 1988. "Theory versus Empiricism in Academic Economics: Update and Comparison s," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 2(4), pages 159-64, Fall.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpma:9904009. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.