"Money" is the Reserves not the Money
In this paper I will argue that the institutional implementations that we commonly include in our monetary aggregates are actually more similar to the concept of ``monetary base''. I will also argue that the institutional implementation of accounts payable operates as money. This slightly translated definition implies that a new monetary aggregate that includes accounts payable may be useful for conducting and informing monetary policy.
|Date of creation:||26 Sep 2003|
|Date of revision:||28 Dec 2003|
|Note:||Type of Document - PDF; prepared on Linux; to print on Any;|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://econwpa.repec.org|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chari, V V & Christiano, Lawrence J & Eichenbaum, Martin, 1995.
"Inside Money, Outside Money, and Short-Term Interest Rates,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 27(4), pages 1354-86, November.
- V. V. Chari & Lawrence J. Christiano & Martin Eichenbaum, 1994. "Inside money, outside money and short-term interest rates," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 1354-1401.
- V.V. Chari & Lawrence J. Christiano & Martin Eichenbaum, 1995. "Inside money, outside money and short term interest rates," Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues 95-13, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- V. V. Chari & Lawrence J. Christiano & Martin Eichenbaum, 1995. "Inside Money, Outside Money and Short Term Interest Rates," NBER Working Papers 5269, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Coleman, Wilbur John, II & Gilles, Christian & Labadie, Pamela A, 1996.
"A Model of the Federal Funds Market,"
Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 7(2), pages 337-57, February.
- Richard G. Anderson & Robert H. Rasche, 2000. "The domestic adjusted monetary base," Working Papers 2000-002, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpma:0309019. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.