Managing Digital Piracy: Pricing, Protection and Welfare
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Takeyama, Lisa N, 1994. "The Welfare Implications of Unauthorized Reproduction of Intellectual Property in the Presence of Demand Network Externalities," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(2), pages 155-166, June.
- Johnson, William R, 1985. "The Economics of Copying," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(1), pages 158-174, February.
- Kathleen Reavis Conner & Richard P. Rumelt, 1991. "Software Piracy: An Analysis of Protection Strategies," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(2), pages 125-139, February.
- Stanley M. Besen & Leo J. Raskind, 1991. "An Introduction to the Law and Economics of Intellectual Property," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 5(1), pages 3-27, Winter.
- Arun Sundararajan, 2003. "Nonlinear pricing of information goods," Industrial Organization 0307003, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Arun Sundararajan, 2003. "Network Effects, Nonlinear Pricing and Entry Deterrence," Industrial Organization 0307002, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fernando Nascimento & Wilfried R. Vanhonacker, 1988. "Optimal Strategic Pricing of Reproducible Consumer Products," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 34(8), pages 921-937, August.
- Arun Sundararajan, 2003. "Network Effects, Nonlinear Pricing and Entry Deterrence," Working Papers 03-17, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Yoon, Kiho, 2002. "The optimal level of copyright protection," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 327-348, September.
- Oz Shy & Jacques-Françlois Thisse, 1999. "A Strategic Approach to Software Protection," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(2), pages 163-190, June.
- Liebowitz, S J, 1985. "Copying and Indirect Appropriability: Photocopying of Journals," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(5), pages 945-957, October.
- M. Alvisi & E. Argentesi & E. Carbonara, 2002. "Piracy and Quality Choice in Monopolistic Markets," Working Papers 436, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ram D. Gopal & Alok Gupta, 2010. "Trading Higher Software Piracy for Higher Profits: The Case of Phantom Piracy," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 56(11), pages 1946-1962, November.
- Ünlü, Vural & Hess, Thomas, 2003. "The optimal level of technical copyright protection: A game-theoretic approach," Working Papers 9/2003, University of Munich, Munich School of Management, Institute for Information Systems and New Media.
- Timothy Cronan & Sulaiman Al-Rafee, 2008. "Factors that Influence the Intention to Pirate Software and Media," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 78(4), pages 527-545, April.
- Gokhan Ozertan & Baris Cevik, 2008. "Pricing Strategies and Protection of Digital Products Under Presence of Piracy: A Welfare Analysis," Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation, Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation, vol. 11(4), pages 1-1.
- Kresimir Zigic & Jiri Strelicky & Michael Kunin, 2013. "The Interaction between Private and Public IPR Protection in a Software Market: A Positive and Normative Analysis," CERGE-EI Working Papers wp490, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economics Institute, Prague.
- Kartik Hosanagar & John Chuang & Ramayya Krishnan & Michael D. Smith, 2008. "Service Adoption and Pricing of Content Delivery Network (CDN) Services," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 54(9), pages 1579-1593, September.
- Atanu Lahiri & Debabrata Dey, 2013. "Effects of Piracy on Quality of Information Goods," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 59(1), pages 245-264, June.
- Tanmoyee Banerjee (Chatterjee) & Nilanjana Biswas( Mitra), 2013. "Product Quality in the presence of Network Externality and Commercial Piracy," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 33(4), pages 3006-3013.
- repec:pal:jorsoc:v:60:y:2009:i:3:d:10.1057_palgrave.jors.2602552 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sanjay Jain, 2008. "Digital Piracy: A Competitive Analysis," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 27(4), pages 610-626, 07-08.
- Anindya Ghose & Arun Sundararajan, 2005. "Versioning and Quality Distortion in Software? Evidence from E-Commerce Panel Data," Working Papers 05-14, NET Institute, revised Oct 2005.
- Jin-Hyuk Kim, 2008. "Digital Rights Management and Technological Tying," Working Papers 08-05, NET Institute, revised Sep 2008.
- Kresimir Zigic & Jiri Strelicky & Michael Kunin, 2015. "Modeling Software Piracy Protection: Monopoly versus Duopoly," CERGE-EI Working Papers wp551, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economics Institute, Prague.
- Joan Calzada & Tommaso M. Valletti, 2012.
"Intertemporal Movie Distribution: Versioning When Customers Can Buy Both Versions,"
INFORMS, vol. 31(4), pages 649-667, July.
- Calzada, Joan & Valletti, Tommaso, 2011. "Intertemporal movie distribution: Versioning when customers can buy both versions," CEPR Discussion Papers 8279, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Joan Calzada & Tommaso M. Valletti, 2011. "Intertemporal Movie Distribution: Versioning when customers can buy both versions," CEIS Research Paper 198, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 20 Jun 2011.
- Jin-Hyuk Kim & Tin Cheuk Leung, 2013. "Quantifying the Impacts of Digital Rights Management and E-Book Pricing on the E-Book Reader Market," Working Papers 13-03, NET Institute.
- Dirk Bergemann & Thomas Eisenbach & Joan Feigenbaum & Scott Shenker, 2005. "Flexibility as an Instrument in Digital Rights Management," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1505, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Anindya Ghose & Arun Sundararajan, 2006. "Evaluating Pricing Strategy Using e-Commerce Data: Evidence and Estimation Challenges," Papers math/0609170, arXiv.org.
- Hemant K. Bhargava & Vidyanand Choudhary, 2008. "Research Note--When Is Versioning Optimal for Information Goods?," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 54(5), pages 1029-1035, May.
- Shariffah Zamoon & Shawn Curley, 2008. "Ripped from the Headlines: What can the Popular Press Teach us about Software Piracy?," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 83(3), pages 515-533, December.
More about this item
Keywordsdigital piracy; digital rights management; DRM; information goods; nonlinear pricing; screening; type-dependent participation constraints; copyright; IP; intellectual property;
- D42 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure, Pricing, and Design - - - Monopoly
- K11 - Law and Economics - - Basic Areas of Law - - - Property Law
- L12 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Monopoly; Monopolization Strategies
- L86 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Information and Internet Services; Computer Software
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-07-29 (All new papers)
- NEP-CUL-2003-07-29 (Cultural Economics)
- NEP-LAW-2003-07-29 (Law & Economics)
- NEP-SEA-2003-07-29 (South East Asia)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwple:0307001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA). General contact details of provider: https://econwpa.ub.uni-muenchen.de .