Performance Evaluation of Public Pension Funds: The Reformed Pension System in Poland
The paper is an updated first performance evaluation study of the Polish pension funds operating from 1999. The unconditional performance evaluation models are used. It is shown that pension fund managers did produce additional value due to active management. Therefore, unsatisfactory overall results for the public pension system cannot be attributed to the inefficiency of the investment process. The research presents some facts on pension fundsf investment behaviour (successful diversification, returns clustering around median manager, positive timing skills).
|Date of creation:||09 Jun 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||Type of Document - Acrobat ; prepared on IBM PC; to print on HP/PostScript/Franciscan monk; pages: 36. This is the Pensions Institute Working Paper PI-0308 http://www.bbk.ac.uk/res/pi/wp.html|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://econwpa.repec.org|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Klaas P. Baks, 2001.
"Should Investors Avoid All Actively Managed Mutual Funds? A Study in Bayesian Performance Evaluation,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 56(1), pages 45-85, 02.
- Klaas Baks & Andrew Metrick & Jessica Wachter, . "Should Investors Avoid All Actively Managed Mutual Funds? A Study in Bayesian Performance Evaluation," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 18-99, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Elton, Edwin J, et al, 1993. "Efficiency with Costly Information: A Reinterpretation of Evidence from Managed Portfolios," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(1), pages 1-22.
- Heber Farnsworth & Wayne E. Ferson & David Jackson & Steven Todd, 2002. "Performance Evaluation with Stochastic Discount Factors," NBER Working Papers 8791, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blake, David & Lehmann, Bruce N & Timmermann, Allan, 1999. "Asset Allocation Dynamics and Pension Fund Performance," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 72(4), pages 429-61, October.
- Heber Farnsworth, 2002. "Performance Evaluation with Stochastic Discount Factors," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 75(3), pages 473-504, July.
- Christopherson, Jon A & Ferson, Wayne E & Glassman, Debra A, 1998.
"Conditioning Manager Alphas on Economic Information: Another Look at the Persistence of Performance,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 11(1), pages 111-42.
- Jon A. Christopherson & Wayne E. Ferson & Debra A. Glassman, 1996. "Conditioning Manager Alphas on Economic Information: Another Look at the Persistence of Performance," NBER Working Papers 5830, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ferson, Wayne & Khang, Kenneth, 2002. "Conditional performance measurement using portfolio weights: evidence for pension funds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 249-282, August.
- David Blake & John Board, 2000. "Measuring Value Added in the Pensions Industry," The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 25(4), pages 539-567, October.
- Coggin, T Daniel & Fabozzi, Frank J & Rahman, Shafiqur, 1993. " The Investment Performance of U.S. Equity Pension Fund Managers: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(3), pages 1039-55, July.
- Wayne Ferson & Kenneth Khang, 2002. "Conditional Performance Measurement Using Portfolio Weights: Evidence for Pension Funds," NBER Working Papers 8790, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cesari, Riccardo & Panetta, Fabio, 2002. "The performance of Italian equity funds," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 99-126, January.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1993. "Common risk factors in the returns on stocks and bonds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 3-56, February.
- Diane Del Guercio & Paula A. Tkac, 2000. "The determinants of the flow of funds of managed portfolios: mutual funds versus pension funds," Working Paper 2000-21, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpfi:0306002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.