The Dynamics of Mutual Funds and Market Timing Measurement
Nonlinearity in the relationship between mutual funds and market returns is often assumed when market timing is assessed. Hence, a quadratic term is introduced into the classic linear model to measure market timing. However, nonlinearity could be due to other factors and the evidence of market timing, usually negative in the literature, may therefore be biased. In this context, the aim of this paper is to analyze the effect of time-varying beta risk and benchmark omission when measuring market timing ability in mutual funds. The first part of the paper shows how the existence of time-varying beta risk produces artificial evidence of market timing, especially when considering asymmetries. In the second part, Kalman filtering is used to estimate the time-varying beta for mutual funds and market timing is then assessed. In general, changes in risk are not related to up and down markets, although some funds show a negative relation between beta variation and market sign. Evidence of negative market timing may be inferred from this result. The results are sensitive to two outliers, corresponding to the launch of the Euro in European financial markets and 9-11. However, passive benchmarks with asset weights different from those of the benchmark also give rise to this result. After these omitted benchmarks have been introduced, any previous evidence of negative market timing disappears almost completely. These results hold when mutual fund net cash flows are controlled for. Therefore, time-varying beta risk and benchmark omission could produce a spurious relationship between the variation of portfolio risk and markets which, in the absence of information about timing decisions, could lead us to infer evidence of market timing mistakenly.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 12 (2008)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.degruyter.com|
|Order Information:||Web: https://www.degruyter.com/view/j/snde|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ferson, Wayne E & Schadt, Rudi W, 1996. " Measuring Fund Strategy and Performance in Changing Economic Conditions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(2), pages 425-461, June.
- Luboš Pástor & Robert F. Stambaugh, "undated".
"Mutual Fund Performance and Seemingly Unrelated Assets.”,"
CRSP working papers
527, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Pastor, Lubos & Stambaugh, Robert F., 2002. "Mutual fund performance and seemingly unrelated assets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(3), pages 315-349, March.
- Jiang, George J. & Yao, Tong & Yu, Tong, 2007. "Do mutual funds time the market? Evidence from portfolio holdings," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(3), pages 724-758, December.
- Gonzalo Rubio, 1993. "Performance measurement of managed portfolios: a survey," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 17(1), pages 3-41, January.
- Robert D. Brooks & Robert W. Faff & Michael D. McKenzie, 1998. "Timeâ€ Varying Beta Risk of Australian Industry Portfolios: A Comparison of Modelling Techniques," Australian Journal of Management, Australian School of Business, vol. 23(1), pages 1-22, June.
- Cesari, Riccardo & Panetta, Fabio, 2002. "The performance of Italian equity funds," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 99-126, January.
- Mark Grinblatt & Sheridan Titman, "undated".
"Mutual Fund Performance: An Analysis of Quarterly Portfolio Holdings,"
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
23-88, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Grinblatt, Mark & Titman, Sheridan D, 1989. "Mutual Fund Performance: An Analysis of Quarterly Portfolio Holdings," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 62(3), pages 393-416, July.
- Patro, Dilip Kumar, 2001. "Measuring performance of international closed-end funds," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(9), pages 1741-1767, September.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1993. "Common risk factors in the returns on stocks and bonds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 3-56, February.
- Kao, G Wenchi & Cheng, Louis T W & Chan, Kam C, 1998. "International Mutual Fund Selectivity and Market Time during Up and Down Market Conditions," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 33(2), pages 127-144, May.
- Rubio, Gonzalo, 1995. "Further Evidence on Performance Evaluation: Portfolio Holdings, Recommendations, and Turnover Costs," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 5(2), pages 127-153, June.
- Elton, Edwin J, et al, 1993. "Efficiency with Costly Information: A Reinterpretation of Evidence from Managed Portfolios," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(1), pages 1-22.
- Carl R. Chen & Steve Stockum, 1986. "Selectivity, Market Timing, And Random Beta Behavior Of Mutual Funds: A Generalized Model," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 9(1), pages 87-96, 03.
- Jiang, Wei, 2003. "A nonparametric test of market timing," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 399-425, September.
- Lehmann, Bruce N & Modest, David M, 1987. " Mutual Fund Performance Evaluation: A Comparison of Benchmarks and Benchmark Comparisons," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(2), pages 233-265, June.
- Michael C. Jensen, 1968. "The Performance Of Mutual Funds In The Period 1945–1964," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 23(2), pages 389-416, 05.
- William F. Sharpe, 1964. "Capital Asset Prices: A Theory Of Market Equilibrium Under Conditions Of Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 19(3), pages 425-442, 09.
- Goetzmann, William N. & Ingersoll, Jonathan & Ivković, Zoran, 2000.
"Monthly Measurement of Daily Timers,"
Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 35(03), pages 257-290, September.
- Carlos Forner & Joaquín Marhuenda, 2003. "Contrarian and Momentum Strategies in the Spanish Stock Market," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 9(1), pages 67-88.
- Siem Jan Koopman & Neil Shephard & Jurgen A. Doornik, 1999.
"Statistical algorithms for models in state space using SsfPack 2.2,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 2(1), pages 107-160.
- Koopman, S.J.M. & Shephard, N. & Doornik, J.A., 1998. "Statistical Algorithms for Models in State Space Using SsfPack 2.2," Discussion Paper 1998-141, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986.
"A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Newey, Whitney & West, Kenneth, 2014. "A simple, positive semi-definite, heteroscedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 33(1), pages 125-132.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987. "A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-708, May.
- Kon, Stanley J & Jen, Frank C, 1978. "Estimation of Time-Varying Systematic Risk and Performance for Mutual Fund Portfolios: An Application of Switching Regression," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 33(2), pages 457-475, May.
- Erik R. Sirri & Peter Tufano, 1998. "Costly Search and Mutual Fund Flows," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(5), pages 1589-1622, October.
- Carhart, Mark M, 1997. " On Persistence in Mutual Fund Performance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(1), pages 57-82, March.
- David A. Volkman, 1999. "Market Volatility And Perverse Timing Performance Of Mutual Fund Managers," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 22(4), pages 449-470, December.
- John Lintner, 1965. "Security Prices, Risk, And Maximal Gains From Diversification," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 20(4), pages 587-615, December.
- Barone-Adesi, Giovanni, 1985. "Arbitrage Equilibrium with Skewed Asset Returns," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(03), pages 299-313, September.
- R.W. Faff & R.D. Brooks, 1998. "Time-varying Beta Risk for Australian Industry Portfolios: An Exploratory Analysis," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(5&6), pages 721-745.
- Kathryn A. Holmes & Robert W. Faff, 2004. "Stability, Asymmetry and Seasonality of Fund Performance: An Analysis of Australian Multi-sector Managed Funds," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(3-4), pages 539-578.
- Volkman, David A, 1999. "Market Volatility and Perverse Timing Performance of Mutual Fund Managers," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 22(4), pages 449-470, Winter.
- Coggin, T Daniel & Fabozzi, Frank J & Rahman, Shafiqur, 1993. " The Investment Performance of U.S. Equity Pension Fund Managers: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(3), pages 1039-1055, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bpj:sndecm:v:12:y:2008:i:4:n:6. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.