Consumption and Investment Optimization under Constraints
We analyze a problem of maximization of expected terminal wealth and consumption under constraints in a general framework including financial models with constrained portfolios, labor income and large investor models. By using general optional decomposition under constraints in a multiplicative form, we first develop a dual formulation under minimal assumption modeled as in Pham and Mnif (2002). We then are able to prove an existence and uniqueness of an optimal solution to primal and to the corresponding dual problem. An optimal investment and consumption plan to the original problem then can be found by convex duality, similarly to the case considered by Kramkov and Schachermayer (1999).
|Date of creation:||19 Nov 2002|
|Date of revision:||19 Nov 2002|
|Note:||Type of Document - Tex/PDF; prepared on IBM PC - PC-TEX/UNIX Sparc TeX; to print on HP/PostScript/Franciscan monk; pages: 31|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://econwpa.repec.org|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Merton, Robert C., 1971.
"Optimum consumption and portfolio rules in a continuous-time model,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 373-413, December.
- R. C. Merton, 1970. "Optimum Consumption and Portfolio Rules in a Continuous-time Model," Working papers 58, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Föllmer, Hans & Kramkov, D. O., 1997. "Optional decompositions under constraints," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1997,31, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Kramkov, D.O., 1994. "Optional decomposition of supermartingales and hedging contingent claims in incomplete security markets," Discussion Paper Serie B 294, University of Bonn, Germany.
- I. Klein & L. C. G. Rogers, 2007. "Duality In Optimal Investment And Consumption Problems With Market Frictions," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(2), pages 225-247.
- Nicole El Karoui & Monique Jeanblanc-Picqué, 1998. "Optimization of consumption with labor income," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 2(4), pages 409-440.
- Cuoco, Domenico, 1997. "Optimal Consumption and Equilibrium Prices with Portfolio Constraints and Stochastic Income," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 33-73, January.
- Domenico Cuoco & Hong Liu, 2000. "A Martingale Characterization of Consumption Choices and Hedging Costs with Margin Requirements," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(3), pages 355-385.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpfi:0211004. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.