An Algorithm for Projecting a Reference Direction onto the Nondominated Set of Given Points
In this paper, we consider the problem of searching nondominated alternatives in a discrete multiple criteria problem. The search procedure is based on the use of a reference direction. A reference direction reflects the desire of the decision maker (DM) to specify a search direction. To find a set of given alternatives related somehow to the reference direction specified by the DM, the reference direction has to be projected onto the set of nondominated alternatives. Our purpose is to develop an efficient algorithm for making this projection. The projection of each given reference direction determines a nondominated ordered subset. The set is provided to a decision maker for evaluation. The decision maker will choose the most preferred alternative from this subset and continues the search from this alternative with a new reference direction. The search will end when no direction of of improvement is found. A critical point in the procedure is the efficiency of the projection operation. This efficiency of our algorithm is considered theoretically and numerically. The projection is made by parametrizing an achievement scalarizing function originally proposed by Wierzbicki (1980) to project any single point onto the nondominated set.
|Date of creation:||Mar 1998|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: A-2361 Laxenburg|
Web page: http://www.iiasa.ac.at/Publications/Catalog/PUB_ONLINE.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Odile Marcotte & Richard M. Soland, 1986. "An Interactive Branch-and-Bound Algorithm for Multiple Criteria Optimization," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(1), pages 61-75, January.
- Korhonen, Pekka, 1988. "A visual reference direction approach to solving discrete multiple criteria problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 152-159, March.
- Korhonen, Pekka J. & Laakso, Jukka, 1986. "A visual interactive method for solving the multiple criteria problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 277-287, February.
- Korhonen, Pekka J., 1986. "A hierarchical interactive method for ranking alternatives with multiple qualitative criteria," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 265-276, February.
- Stanley Zionts & Jyrki Wallenius, 1976. "An Interactive Programming Method for Solving the Multiple Criteria Problem," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 22(6), pages 652-663, February.
- Pekka Korhonen & Jyrki Wallenius & Stanley Zionts, 1984. "Solving the Discrete Multiple Criteria Problem using Convex Cones," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(11), pages 1336-1345, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wop:iasawp:ir98011. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.