Estimates of capital stocks and capital productivity in Austrian manufacturing industries, 1978 -1994
We present gross, net and productive capital stock estimates for 20 industries of the Austrian manufacturing sector based on the perpetual inventory method for the period 1969-1994. The estimation of the net capital stocks and the volume index of capital services follows an integrated method derived from the neoclassical theory of investment. Based on the estimates we calculate capital intensity and capital productivity measures for the 20 industries and provide estimates of capital productivity developments. We find that capital productivity decreased only for 5 out of the 20 industries. The other industries showed in part marked increases in both capital and labor productivity.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Welthandelsplatz 1, 1020 Vienna, Austria|
Web page: http://www.wu.ac.at/economics/en
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- D. W. Jorgenson & Z. Griliches, 1967. "The Explanation of Productivity Change," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 34(3), pages 249-283.
- repec:sae:niesru:v:147:y::i:1:p:84-96 is not listed on IDEAS
- Wadhwani, Sushil & Wall, Martin, 1986. "The UK Capital Stock--New Estimates of Premature Scrapping," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 2(3), pages 44-55, Autumn.
- Hahn, Franz & Schmoranz, Ingo, 1984. "Estimates of Capital Stock by Industries for Austria," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 30(3), pages 289-307, September.
- Basu, Susanto & Fernald, John G, 1997.
"Returns to Scale in U.S. Production: Estimates and Implications,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(2), pages 249-283, April.
- Susanto Basu & John G. Fernald, 1996. "Returns to scale in U.S. production: estimates and implications," International Finance Discussion Papers 546, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Verughese Jacob & Subhash Sharma & Richard Grabowski, 1997. "Capital stock estimates for major sectors and disaggregated manufacturing in selected OECD countries," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(5), pages 563-579.
- Dirk Pilat & Paul Schreyer, 2003. "Measuring productivity," OECD Economic Studies, OECD Publishing, vol. 2001(2), pages 127-170.
- B. Bohm & A. Gleiss & M. Wagner & D. Ziegler, 2002. "Disaggregated capital stock estimation for Austria - methods, concepts and results," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(1), pages 23-37.
- Hulten, Charles R. & Wykoff, Frank C., 1981. "The estimation of economic depreciation using vintage asset prices : An application of the Box-Cox power transformation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 367-396, April.
- Franz R. Hahn, 1983. "Neufassung der WIFO-Kapitalstockschätzung für die Industrie und das Gewerbe nach Branchen," WIFO Monatsberichte (monthly reports), WIFO, vol. 56(8), pages 534-542, August. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wiw:wiwgee:geewp41. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Department of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.