Respondent Dynamics within the NZIER Survey of Business Opinion: An Introductory Perspective
This paper considers respondent dynamics within the NZIER quarterly survey of business opinion. The paper concentrates mainly on the potential usefulness of matched and individual survey responses with particular reference to business confidence. The main framework is a three-by-three matrix of responses by firms who have participated in adjacent surveys. This framework provides information on the dynamics (flows) of business opinion as opposed to the usual published information on end-of-period net balances (stocks). The paper highlights the volatility of business opinion with respect to both economy-wide and own-outlook. Almost half the firms replying to adjacent surveys, for example, changed their outlook between quarters regarding business confidence, output and profitability.
|Date of creation:||30 Nov 2000|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Private Bag 3105, Hamilton, New Zealand, 3240|
Phone: + 64 (0)7 838 4758 (Administrator)
Fax: (647) 838-4331
Web page: http://cms.mngt.waikato.ac.nz/departments/economics
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert A. Buckle & John A. Carlson, 2000.
"Inflation and Asymmetric Price Adjustment,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 82(1), pages 157-160, February.
- Buckle, R-A & Carlson, J-A, 1996. "Inflation an Asymmetric Price Adjustment," Papers 96-013, Purdue University, Krannert School of Management - Center for International Business Education and Research (CIBER).
- Balcombe, Kelvin, 1996. "The Carlson-Parkin method applied to NZ price expectations using QSBO survey data," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 51-57, April.
- Buckle, Robert A. & Carlson, John A., 2000. "Menu costs, firm size and price rigidity," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 59-63, January.
- Buckle, Robert A & Meads, Chris S, 1991. "How Do Firms React to Surprising Changes to Demand? A Vector Autoregressive Analysis Using Business Survey Data," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 53(4), pages 451-466, November. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wai:econwp:00/03. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Brian Silverstone)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.