Heterogeneous Discount Factors in an Assignment Model with Search Frictions
We look at a simple market with two-sided heterogeneity and pairwise meetings. On the supply side are two landlord types who differ in the quality of their apartments. On the demand side is a continuum of tentant types who differ in their valuations for apartment types and their patience. For infinitesimal search frictions and an atomless tanant type distribution, we full ycharacterize all possible steady stage equilibria in a typical region of the parameter space. Our main finding is that the heterogeneous discount factors can cause strong deviations from the Walrasian outcome even when we asymptotically remove all the search frictions. All conventional frictional models with non-Walrasian limits are qualitatively different from the model in this paper.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Matsui Akihiko & Matsuyama Kiminori, 1995.
"An Approach to Equilibrium Selection,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 415-434, April.
- Akihiko Matsui & Kiminori Matsuyama, 1990. "An Approach to Equilibrium Selection," Discussion Papers 970, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Akihiko Matsui & Kiminori Matsuyama, 1991. "An Approach to Equilibrium Selection," Discussion Papers 1065, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Alos-Ferrer, Carlos, 1999. "Dynamical Systems with a Continuum of Randomly Matched Agents," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 245-267, June.
- Alos-Ferrer, C., 1998. "Dynamic Systems with a Continuum of Randomly Matched Agents," Papers 9801, Washington St. Louis - School of Business and Political Economy.
- Carlos Alós-Ferrer, 1998. "- Dynamical Systems With A Continuum Of Randomly Matched Agents," Working Papers. Serie AD 1998-08, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Rui Pascoa, Mario, 1993. "Approximate equilibrium in pure strategies for non-atomic games," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 223-241.
- Nabil I. Al-Najjar & Ramon Casadesus-Masanell & Emre Ozdenoren, 1999. "Subjective Representation of Complexity," Discussion Papers 1249, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Edward J. Green, 1994. "Individual Level Randomness in a Nonatomic Population," GE, Growth, Math methods 9402001, EconWPA.
- Harrington, Joseph E, Jr, 1998. "The Social Selection of Flexible and Rigid Agents," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(1), pages 63-82, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:vie:viennp:9807. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paper Administrator)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.