Border Delays and Trade Liberalization
Delays at the border for customs clearance are seemingly a central feature of the trade regime in the CIS states. Here, we argue that with queuing costs being endogenously determined in such circumstances tariff liberalization (even in the small economy case) can be welfare worsening since tariff revenues are replaced by resource using queuing costs. On the other hand, corruption can be welfare improving if queuing costs are replaced by resource transferring bribes. We also show how added distortions between perishable and non-perishable, or between light and heavy goods can also arise. We show these outcomes using a simple general equilibrium model, and explore the numerical implications using Russian data. The orders of magnitude are both significant and opposite in sign to conventional analyses.
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 519-661-2111 Ext.85244
Web page: http://economics.uwo.ca/research/research_papers/epri_workingpapers.html
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Erkel-Rousse, H. & Mirza, D., 2000.
"Import Price-Elasticities : Reconsidering the Evidence,"
Papiers d'Economie MathÃ©matique et Applications
2000.52, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Hélène Erkel-Rousse & Daniel Mirza, 2002. "Import price elasticities: reconsidering the evidence," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 35(2), pages 282-306, May.
- Helene Erkel-Rousse & Daniel Mirza, 2000. "Import Price-Elastcities: Reconsidering the Evidence," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0909, Econometric Society.
- Paul G. Hare, 2000.
"Trade Policy during the Transition. Lessons from the 1990s,"
CERT Discussion Papers
0006, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- Paul Hare, 2001. "Trade Policy During the Transition: Lessons from the 1990s," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(4), pages 482-512, 04.
- Emine GÃ¼rgen & Thomas A. Wolf, 2000. "Improving Governance and Fighting Corruption in the Baltic and CIS Countries; The Role of the IMF," IMF Working Papers 00/1, International Monetary Fund.
- Lui, Francis T, 1985. "An Equilibrium Queuing Model of Bribery," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(4), pages 760-81, August.
- Lisandro Abrego & Raymond Riezman & John Whalley, 2001. "How Reasonable Are Assumptions Used in Theoretical Models?: Computational Evidence on the Likelihood of Trade Pattern Changes," NBER Working Papers 8169, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521266550 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521319867 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uwo:epuwoc:20026. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.