Investigating Time-Efficient Methods to Price Compound Options in the Heston Model
The primary purpose of this paper is to provide an in-depth analysis of a number of structurally different methods to numerically evaluate European compound option prices under Heston’s stochastic volatility dynamics. Therefore, we first outline several approaches that can be used to price these type of options in the Heston model: a modified sparse grid method, a fractional fast Fourier transform technique, a (semi-)analytical valuation formula using the Green’s function of logarithmic spot and volatility and a Monte Carlo simulation. Then we compare the methods on a theoretical basis and report on their numerical properties with respect to computational times and accuracy. One key element of our analysis is that the analyzed methods are extended to incorporate piecewise time-dependent model parameters, which allows for a more realistic compound option pricing.
|Date of creation:||01 Apr 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PO Box 123, Broadway, NSW 2007, Australia|
Phone: +61 2 9514 7777
Fax: +61 2 9514 7711
Web page: http://www.qfrc.uts.edu.au/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fang, Fang & Oosterlee, Kees, 2008.
"A Novel Pricing Method For European Options Based On Fourier-Cosine Series Expansions,"
9319, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fang, Fang & Oosterlee, Kees, 2008. "A Novel Pricing Method For European Options Based On Fourier-Cosine Series Expansions," MPRA Paper 7700, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Geske, Robert, 1979. "The valuation of compound options," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 63-81, March.
- Roger Lord & Remmert Koekkoek & Dick van Dijk, 2006.
"A Comparison of Biased Simulation Schemes for Stochastic Volatility Models,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
06-046/4, Tinbergen Institute, revised 07 Jun 2007.
- Roger Lord & Remmert Koekkoek & Dick Van Dijk, 2010. "A comparison of biased simulation schemes for stochastic volatility models," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(2), pages 177-194.
- Geske, Robert & Johnson, Herb E, 1984. " The American Put Option Valued Analytically," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(5), pages 1511-24, December.
- Heston, Steven L, 1993. "A Closed-Form Solution for Options with Stochastic Volatility with Applications to Bond and Currency Options," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(2), pages 327-43.
- Samuli Ikonen & Jari Toivanen, 2007. "Componentwise Splitting Methods For Pricing American Options Under Stochastic Volatility," International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Finance (IJTAF), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 10(02), pages 331-361.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uts:rpaper:328. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Duncan Ford)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.