Conditional Style Rotation Model on Enhanced Value and Growth Portfolios: The European Experience
Academic and professional attention has been devoted in the past to the analysis of the potential value-enhancement generated by strategies based on macroeconomic models and applied to portfolios or indexes of style classes. In this paper, we analyse the extent of the excess returns that can be potentially generated by rotating a portfolio between value and growth stocks in the European markets. We extend the results obtained by Bird and Casavecchia (Bird, R. and Casavecchia. L. (2007) Sentiment and financial health indicators for value and growth stocks: the European experience, European Journal of Finance, 13, pp. 769-793) when applying market sentiment and financial health indicators to stocks and document the extent to which macroeconomic factors convey information that is not already impounded in these indicators. We find that a strategy to rotate between portfolios, constructed on either single valuation metrics or their enhancement by market sentiment and a company’s financial strength, is typically consistent, monotonic, and in the expected direction. This highlights the proposition that the macroeconomic factors capture a cross-sectional variation that is not typically impounded in unconditional regression models on value and growth portfolios.
|Date of creation:||01 May 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PO Box 123, Broadway, NSW 2007, Australia|
Phone: +61 2 9514 7777
Fax: +61 2 9514 7711
Web page: http://www.uts.edu.au/research-and-teaching/our-research/paul-woolley-centre
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wayne E. Ferson & Campbell R. Harvey, 1999.
"Conditioning Variables and the Cross-Section of Stock Returns,"
NBER Working Papers
7009, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wayne E. Ferson & Campbell R. Harvey, 1999. "Conditioning Variables and the Cross Section of Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(4), pages 1325-1360, 08.
- Ferson, Wayne E & Harvey, Campbell R, 1991. "The Variation of Economic Risk Premiums," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(2), pages 385-415, April.
- Ron Bird & Lorenzo Casavecchia, 2007. "Sentiment and Financial Health Indicators for Value and Growth Stocks: The European Experience," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(8), pages 769-793.
- John Y. Campbell & Robert J. Shiller, 1988.
"Stock Prices, Earnings and Expected Dividends,"
NBER Working Papers
2511, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Campbell, J.Y. & Shiller, R.J., 1988. "Stock Prices, Earnings And Expected Dividends," Papers 334, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- John Y. Campbell & Robert J. Shiller, 1988. "Stock Prices, Earnings and Expected Dividends," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 858, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Campbell, John & Shiller, Robert, 1988. "Stock Prices, Earnings, and Expected Dividends," Scholarly Articles 3224293, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Campbell, John Y., 1987.
"Stock returns and the term structure,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 373-399, June.
- Fama, Eugene F. & Gibbons, Michael R., 1984. "A comparison of inflation forecasts," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 327-348, May.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1988. "Dividend yields and expected stock returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-25, October.
- Biorn,E., 2001. "How is generalized least squares related to within and between estimators in unbalanced panel data?," Memorandum 06/2001, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Elton, Edwin J & Gruber, Martin J & Blake, Christopher R, 1995. " Fundamental Economic Variables, Expected Returns, and Bond Fund Performance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(4), pages 1229-56, September.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1989. "Business conditions and expected returns on stocks and bonds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 23-49, November.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1993. "Common risk factors in the returns on stocks and bonds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 3-56, February.
- Charles M.C. Lee & Bhaskaran Swaminathan, 2000. "Price Momentum and Trading Volume," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(5), pages 2017-2069, October.
- Fama, Eugene F & French, Kenneth R, 1996. " Multifactor Explanations of Asset Pricing Anomalies," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(1), pages 55-84, March.
- Conrad, Jennifer & Kaul, Gautam, 1993. " Long-Term Market Overreaction or Biases in Computed Returns?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(1), pages 39-63, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uts:pwcwps:2. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Duncan Ford)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.