A One World Currency? A Factor-OCA Approach to the Analysis of Monetary Integration
Most models of monetary union (MU) are two country, here we develop a simple n-country Factor-OCA approach and consider the costs and benefits of joining an MU, the costs and benefits for third parties (both MU members and non members) and hence we can consider the optimal composition of an MU for the different parties. We show the model in practice with various simulations and two empircial applications based on EMU and Nafta. While recent commentators have called for a one-world curency, we find monetary integration has costs for some countries and benefits for others, perhaps explaining why this remains an issue of considerable interest and debate.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Miñones 2177 - (1428) Buenos Aires|
Web page: http://www.utdt.edu/listado_contenidos.php?id_item_menu=4994
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- William Poole, 1970.
"Optimal choice of monetary policy instruments in a simple stochastic macro model,"
57, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- William Poole, 1969. "Optimal choice of monetary policy instruments in a simple stochastic macro model," Special Studies Papers 2, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Tamim Bayoumi, 1994.
"A Formal Model of Optimum Currency Areas,"
IMF Working Papers
94/42, International Monetary Fund.
- Barry J. Eichengreen & Tamim Bayoumi, 1993. "Monetary and Exchange Rate Arrangements for Nafta," IMF Working Papers 93/20, International Monetary Fund.
- Charles R. Bean, 1992.
"Economic and Monetary Union in Europe,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 6(4), pages 31-52, Fall.
- William Poole, 1970. "Optimal Choice of Monetary Policy Instruments in a Simple Stochastic Macro Model," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 84(2), pages 197-216.
- Bayoumi, Tamim & Eichengreen, Barry, 1994. "Monetary and exchange rate arrangements for NAFTA," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 125-165, February.
- Neumeyer, Pablo Andres, 1998.
"Currencies and the Allocation of Risk: The Welfare Effects of a Monetary Union,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 88(1), pages 246-259, March.
- Neumeyer, P.A., 1995. "Currencies and the Allocation of Risk: The Welfare Effect of a Monetary Union," DELTA Working Papers 95-27, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:udt:wpbsdt:oneworld. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nicolás Del Ponte)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.