Smoke and strong whiskey : factors influencing female smoking and drinking in Ireland
This paper analyses decisions regarding smoking and drinking for a sample of Irish women. Double-hurdle models are estimated to determine whether decisions to smoke/drink are made independently of how much to smoke/drink. Given the potential complementarities between smoking and drinking a model which allows for the joint determination of smoking and drinking is also estimated. The paper finds that decisions to smoke/drink and how much to smoke/drink are not independent and that decisions to smoke/drink are not made independently of each other.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: UCD, Belfield, Dublin 4|
Fax: +353-1-283 0068
Web page: http://www.ucd.ie/economics
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sandra L. Decker & Amy Ellen Schwartz, 2000. "Cigarettes and Alcohol: Substitutes or Complements?," NBER Working Papers 7535, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chaloupka, Frank J. & Warner, Kenneth E., 2000.
"The economics of smoking,"
Handbook of Health Economics,
in: A. J. Culyer & J. P. Newhouse (ed.), Handbook of Health Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 29, pages 1539-1627
- John Mullahy & Jody L. Sindelar, 1995.
"Employment, Unemployment, and Problem Drinking,"
NBER Working Papers
5123, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John A. Tauras & Frank J. Chaloupka, 1999. "Determinants of Smoking Cessation: An Analysis of Young Adult Men and Women," NBER Working Papers 7262, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Becker, Gary S & Murphy, Kevin M, 1988.
"A Theory of Rational Addiction,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(4), pages 675-700, August.
- Gary S. Becker & Kevin M. Murphy, 1986. "A Theory of Rational Addiction," University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State 41, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Farrell, Phillip & Fuchs, Victor R. & Fuchs, Victor R., 1982.
"Schooling and health : The cigarette connection,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 217-230, December.
- Cragg, John G, 1971. "Some Statistical Models for Limited Dependent Variables with Application to the Demand for Durable Goods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 39(5), pages 829-44, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucn:wpaper:200204. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nicolas Clifton)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.