A Unified Approach to Estimating a Normal Mean Matrix in High and Low Dimensions
ã€€ã€€ This paper addresses the problem of estimating the normal mean matrix with an unknown covariance matrix. Motivated by an empirical Bayes method, we suggest a uni ed form of the Efron-Morris type estimators based on the Moore-Penrose inverse. This form not only can be de ned for any dimension and any sample size, but also can contain the Efron-Morris type or Baranchik type estimators suggested so far in the literature. Also, the uni ed form suggests a general class of shrinkage estimators. For shrinkage estimators within the general class, a uni ed expression of unbiased estimators of the risk functions is derived regardless of the dimension of covariance matrix and the size of the mean matrix. An analytical dominance result is provided for a positive-part rule of the shrinkage estimators.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.cirje.e.u-tokyo.ac.jp/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Konno, Yoshihiko, 1991. "On estimation of a matrix of normal means with unknown covariance matrix," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 44-55, January.
- Bilodeau, Martin & Kariya, Takeaki, 1989. "Minimax estimators in the normal MANOVA model," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 260-270, February.
- Tsukuma, Hisayuki, 2010. "Shrinkage minimax estimation and positive-part rule for a mean matrix in an elliptically contoured distribution," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 80(3-4), pages 215-220, February.
- Tsukuma, Hisayuki & Kubokawa, Tatsuya, 2007. "Methods for improvement in estimation of a normal mean matrix," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 98(8), pages 1592-1610, September.
- Konno, Yoshihiko, 2009. "Shrinkage estimators for large covariance matrices in multivariate real and complex normal distributions under an invariant quadratic loss," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 100(10), pages 2237-2253, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tky:fseres:2014cf926. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CIRJE administrative office)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.