Asymptotic Expansion Approaches in Finance: Applications to Currency Options
This chapter presents a basic of the methodology so-called an asymptotic expansion approach, and applies this method to approximation of prices of currency options with a libor market model of interest rates and stochastic volatility models of spot exchange rates. The scheme enables us to derive closed-form approximation formulas for pricing currency options even with high flexibility of the underlying model; we do not model a foreign exchange rate's variance such as in Heston , but its volatility that follows a general time-inhomogeneous Markovian process. Further, the correlations among all the factors such as domestic and foreign interest rates, a spot foreign exchange rate and its volatility, are allowed. At the end of this chapter some numerical examples are provided and the pricing formula is applied to the calibration of volatility surfaces in the JPY/USD option market.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Hongo 7-3-1, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-0033|
Web page: http://www.cirje.e.u-tokyo.ac.jp/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Yoshifumi Muroi, 2005. "Pricing contingent claims with credit risk: Asymptotic expansion approach," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 415-427, 07.
- Amin, Kaushik I & Bodurtha, James N, Jr, 1995. "Discrete-Time Valuation of American Options with Stochastic Interest Rates," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 8(1), pages 193-234.
- Orlin J. Grabbe, . "The Pricing of Call and Put Options on Foreign Exchange," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 6-83, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Takao Kobayashi & Akihiko Takahashi & Norio Tokioka, 2001.
"Dynamic Optimality of Yield Curve Strategies,"
CIRJE-F-141, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Robert C. Merton, 1973. "Theory of Rational Option Pricing," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 4(1), pages 141-183, Spring.
- Hilliard, Jimmy E. & Madura, Jeff & Tucker, Alan L., 1991. "Currency Option Pricing with Stochastic Domestic and Foreign Interest Rates," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(02), pages 139-151, June.
- Akihiko Takahashi & Nakahiro Yoshida, 2005. "Monte Carlo Simulation with Asymptotic Method," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-335, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Orlin Grabbe, J., 1983. "The pricing of call and put options on foreign exchange," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 239-253, December.
- Miltersen, K. & K. Sandmann & D. Sondermann, 1994.
"Closed Form Solutions for Term Structure Derivatives with Log-Normal Interest Rates,"
Discussion Paper Serie B
308, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Miltersen, Kristian R & Sandmann, Klaus & Sondermann, Dieter, 1997. " Closed Form Solutions for Term Structure Derivatives with Log-Normal Interest Rates," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(1), pages 409-30, March.
- Amin, Kaushik I. & Jarrow, Robert A., 1991. "Pricing foreign currency options under stochastic interest rates," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 310-329, September.
- Orlin J. Grabbe, . "The Pricing of Call and Put Options on Foreign Exchange," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 06-83, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Sakamoto, Yuji & Yoshida, Nakahiro, 1996. "Expansion of Perturbed Random Variables Based on Generalized Wiener Functionals," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 34-59, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tky:fseres:2009cf654. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CIRJE administrative office)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.