Statistical Testing of Optimality Conditions in Multiresponse Simulation-based Optimization (Revision of 2005-81)
This paper studies simulation-based optimization with multiple outputs. It assumes that the simulation model has one random objective function and must satisfy given constraints on the other random outputs. It presents a statistical procedure for test- ing whether a specific input combination (proposed by some optimization heuristic) satisfies the Karush-Kuhn-Tucker (KKT) first-order optimality conditions. The pa- per focuses on "expensive" simulations, which have small sample sizes. The paper applies the classic t test to check whether the specific input combination is feasi- ble, and whether any constraints are binding; it applies bootstrapping (resampling) to test the estimated gradients in the KKT conditions. The new methodology is applied to three examples, which gives encouraging empirical results.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kleijnen, Jack P.C., 2009.
"Kriging metamodeling in simulation: A review,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 192(3), pages 707-716, February.
- Kleijnen, J.P.C., 2007. "Kriging Metamodeling in Simulation : A Review," Discussion Paper 2007-13, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Martin, Michael A., 2007. "Bootstrap hypothesis testing for some common statistical problems: A critical evaluation of size and power properties," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(12), pages 6321-6342, August.
- Sridhar Bashyam & Michael C. Fu, 1998. "Optimization of (s, S) Inventory Systems with Random Lead Times and a Service Level Constraint," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(12-Part-2), pages 243-256, December.
- Kleijnen, Jack P. C. & van Beers, Wim C. M., 2005. "Robustness of Kriging when interpolating in random simulation with heterogeneous variances: Some experiments," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 165(3), pages 826-834, September.
- Kao, Chiang & Chen, Shih-Pin, 2006. "A stochastic quasi-Newton method for simulation response optimization," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 173(1), pages 30-46, August.
- Acácio M. De O. Porta Nova & James R. Wilson, 1989. "Estimation of Multiresponse Simulation Metamodels Using Control Variates," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(11), pages 1316-1333, November. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tiu:tiucen:3e563d88-0029-47f6-a66b-ed001f03a5fb. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Richard Broekman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.