Impact of Land Use Regulations on Suburbanisation: Evidence from India’s Cities
India is characterised by strong land use controls, but their impacts have drawn little attention. I study the impact of the restrictive land use controls such as floor area ratio, and urban land ceiling on population and employment suburbanisation in India’s urban areas. Using standard econometric techniques, I find that population suburbanises in response to relaxation of FAR norms in the suburbs. However, land use regulations do not have any impact on employment suburbanisation.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Nagarabhavi, Bangalore - 560072|
Web page: http://www.isec.ac.in/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sridhar, Kala Seetharam, 2007. "Density gradients and their determinants: Evidence from India," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 314-344, May.
- Small Kenneth A. & Song Shunfeng, 1994.
"Population and Employment Densities: Structure and Change,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 292-313, November.
- Small, Kenneth A. & Song, Shunfeng, 1994. "Population and Employment Densities: Structure and Change," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt6nk5v6b4, University of California Transportation Center.
- Mills, Edwin S. & Price, Richard, 1984. "Metropolitan suburbanization and central city problems," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 1-17, January.
- Margo, Robert A., 1992. "Explaining the postwar suburbanization of population in the United States: The role of income," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 301-310, May.
- Peter Mieszkowski & Edwin S. Mills, 1993. "The Causes of Metropolitan Suburbanization," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 7(3), pages 135-147, Summer.
- Mills, Edwin S., 1992. "The measurement and determinants of suburbanization," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 377-387, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sch:wpaper:185. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (B B Chand)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.