Pricing Double Barrier Options: An Analytical Approach
Double barrier options have become popular instruments in derivative markets. Several papers_new have already analyseddouble knock-out call and put options using different methods. In a recent paper, Geman and Yor (1996) deriveexpressions for the Laplace transform of the double barrrier option price. However, they have to resort to numericalinversion of the Laplace transform to obtain option prices. In this paper, we are able to solve, using contour integration,the inverse of the Laplace transforms analytically thereby eliminating the need for numerical inversion routines. To ourknowledge, this is one of the first applications of contour integration to option pricing problems. To illustrate the power ofthis method, we derive analytical valuation formulas for a much wider variety of double barrier options than has beentreated in the literature so far. Many of these variants are nowadays being traded in the markets. Especially, options whichpay a fixed amount of money (a "rebate") as soon as one of the barriers is hit and double barrier knock-in options.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: CEF97, Stanford University, Department of Economics, Stanford CA USA|
Web page: http://bucky.stanford.edu/cef97/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Goldman, M Barry & Sosin, Howard B & Gatto, Mary Ann, 1979. "Path Dependent Options: "Buy at the Low, Sell at the High"," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 34(5), pages 1111-1127, December.
- Robert C. Merton, 2005.
"Theory of rational option pricing,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,in: Theory Of Valuation, chapter 8, pages 229-288
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Robert C. Merton, 1973. "Theory of Rational Option Pricing," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 4(1), pages 141-183, Spring.
- Naoto Kunitomo & Masayuki Ikeda, 1992. "Pricing Options With Curved Boundaries," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 2(4), pages 275-298.
- Hélyette Geman & Marc Yor, 1996. "Pricing And Hedging Double-Barrier Options: A Probabilistic Approach," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(4), pages 365-378.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-654, May-June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sce:scecf7:130. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.