A New Approach to Pricing Double-Barrier Options with Arbitrary Payoffs and Exponential Boundaries
We consider in this article the arbitrage free pricing of double knock-out barrier options with payoffs that are arbitrary functions of the underlying asset, where we allow exponentially time-varying barrier levels in an otherwise standard Black-Scholes model. Our approach, reminiscent of the method of images of electromagnetics, considerably simplifies the derivation of analytical formulae for this class of exotics by reducing the pricing of any double-barrier problem to that of pricing a related European option. We illustrate the method by reproducing the well-known formulae of Kunitomo and Ikeda (1992) for the standard knock-out double-barrier call and put options. We give an explanation for the rapid rate of convergence of the doubly infinite sums for affine payoffs in the stock price, as encountered in the pricing of double-barrier call and put options first observed by Kunitomo and Ikeda (1992).
Volume (Year): 16 (2009)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAMF20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAMF20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harrison, J. Michael & Pliska, Stanley R., 1981. "Martingales and stochastic integrals in the theory of continuous trading," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 215-260, August.
- Peter Buchen, 2004. "The pricing of dual-expiry exotics," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(1), pages 101-108.
- Hans-Peter Bermin & Peter Buchen & Otto Konstandatos, 2008. "Two Exotic Lookback Options," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(4), pages 387-402.
- Peter Buchen & Otto Konstandatos, 2005. "A New Method Of Pricing Lookback Options," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(2), pages 245-259.
- Hélyette Geman & Marc Yor, 1996. "Pricing And Hedging Double-Barrier Options: A Probabilistic Approach," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(4), pages 365-378.
- Robert C. Merton, 1973. "Theory of Rational Option Pricing," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 4(1), pages 141-183, Spring.
- Goldman, M Barry & Sosin, Howard B & Gatto, Mary Ann, 1979. "Path Dependent Options: "Buy at the Low, Sell at the High"," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 34(5), pages 1111-27, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apmtfi:v:16:y:2009:i:6:p:497-515. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.